Expanding flock what breed works well

boomercide

Songster
Nov 2, 2015
Chatham ny
Hello all I have a flock of 6 birds right now I'm going too get another 6 in the spring but not sure on what birds I want too get I haven't 2 Easter Eggers now and 4 Whyndottes 2 silver 2 gold both have been a great bird too me so far was thinking of staying with maybe one of these breeds just becouse they are working out well but was wondering if there is another breed that might fit my needs better I want a bird that lays big eggs dose not go Brodie much as I just found out Whyndottes have been known too do that even tho I have not gone threw it yet and a bird that dose well in the cold up state Ny can get very cold and harsh so I need them good in the cold and good at being locked up so they don't get cranky any ones thoughts on this would be great if I got good birds hear or if you think there are a better breed out there I would love too hear everyone's thoughts:cd

Based on your criteria, I would suggest Black Sex Links (Black Stars), which are very cold hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year with double yolks not being uncommon. I have especially been impressed by their persistence in laying in really cold winter weather and they almost never go broody.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom