Expanding Flock

jennyf

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Missouri
Not that I'm at this point yet, but I hear chicken math is very contagious!! We just finished a coop that is perfect size for just our six chickens, but have enough run space to accommodate more. Should we add chicken in future years, will they split up to use a different coop if we build a second, or do they all cram into one? Hope do folks handle this?

Chicken Math is totally contagious! Its fun though ^^ And I've added small groups and added them into my larger flock for 2 or 3 years now and they all live together just fine <3

What do people do if the existing coop isn't big enough? We have extra run space, but six birds for a coop that is just over 20 sq ft (and not really expandable) so no more room there--we'd have to build another coop. But somehow I can't seem them deciding among themselves to divide equally between coops... :)

Bump out a wall, and expand the coop you have, or build a bigger one. You would probably have to lock the older birds in the new coop for a week or two, so they don't just wander around looking for their old home. But, IMO, keeping the flock in ONE coop, is the way to go. Don't have to be going back and forth, between coops, to do the daily things that need to be done, such as collecting eggs, topping off feeders, and changing out/checking on the water founts.

Bump out a wall, and expand the coop you have, or build a bigger one. You would probably have to lock the older birds in the new coop for a week or two, so they don't just wander around looking for their old home. But, IMO, keeping the flock in ONE coop, is the way to go. Don't have to be going back and forth, between coops, to do the daily things that need to be done, such as collecting eggs, topping off feeders, and changing out/checking on the water founts.

Absolutely good advice.

Especially if they are sharing an outdoor run. They will want to "flock" together.

When chicken math hit me I built a bigger coop. My old coop is where I brood chicks. I also use it as a chicken hospital when chicks aren't in there. It is really handy to have two coops!

The thing is, if you add another coop, and they CHOOSE to cram into one, then at least its their choice. If you add new birds, they will most likely go to the coop you've introduced them to (new coop), especially since newbies are often picked on during roosting time - they may not WANT to roost with the original birds.

I have three different coops/runs, but all my flocks free range together. Although they will sometimes lay eggs in someone else's coop, they always go back to their own coops/runs to roost at night (with the exception of one of my silkie girls who loves to brood in my 'big girl' coop on occasion).

I built a run purposely with 2 coops because i knew "chicken math" would strike. I started with 5 white silkies in there, then got 4 partridge silkies, then added 3 blk and another white.
The white silkies stayed in the original coop and slowly the others all moved in with them. I accomedated that move by changinging the roost situation. Yes it got crowed but they didn't seem to mind and actually used the other coop for laying only.

Now i have both coops as brooders and will be mixing the chicks soon in the "common area" in the run.

2 coops works for the look but don't touch method of introductions like a dream.

Add the other coop, put a divider with a door on the run, and enjoy chicken math!

Back
Top Bottom