Expanding flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ziegenhof, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Ziegenhof

Ziegenhof Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I've ordered 28 chicks to be delivered late October for spring layers. All Rhode Island Reds, 25 pullets, 3 cockerels, and then I think Murry Mcmurry gives you a mystery chick (and I bet it's just like 20+ years ago and it will be a polish crested something another).

Anyway when I started with my 12 Wyandotte's in March, I said never again. Then in July I got 12 keets and said never again. Well now I've built out a nice brooder box that will take them from day old to 9 weeks! So hopefully it will be easier this time. I had forgotten how much work raising them is with the dirty water because they scratch all the time and how often you need to clean their little pens and wash their equipment and then the dust! It had been many years since my last chicken raising and well I was a spring chick myself back then!

But I've made even more work for myself! I have to build a bigger coop (been checking out the coop building section) and fence a larger pen for when I'm keeping them locked up.

And now I'm thinking of adding in some turkeys to start raising, and I've asked for a nice incubator for Christmas..... Is there a poultry addiction helpline?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    No, unfortunately not. I found there is no cure either. And the only way to deal with the symptoms is to keep getting more chickens. It's terribly addictive, but at least it's good for you [​IMG]

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Well there kind of is, it's called BYC! You just have to understand that here we fuel the addiction and make it worse, there is no desire to control it!

Similar problems here. I have a little batch of 8 in the brooder right now, husband rolling eyes and having to build another coop.... he understands, there is no cure.

4. Ziegenhof

Ziegenhof Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Do you want to send your husband on vacation to southern Oregon to build another coop? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by