Expanding foam insulation - ok or no?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Penny spender, May 30, 2016.

1. Penny spender

Penny spender Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2016
    I want to used the expanding foam insulation to fill cracks and holes at ground and roost level so there won't be drafts in the winter. The coop will not be insulated. Is it OK to use the expanding foam then trim off excess dry foam? Will chickens still try to eat it? Or....does anyone have any better suggestions for stopping drafts?

2. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    I would think don't bother / don't do it. A few cracks the size of something that would be filled with expanding foam won't matter. Depending on the amount of other ventilation, maybe a good thing to have a few cracks.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Your birds will definitely eat it, and as Howard says, it's not worth it anyway. The issue is predator protection anyway. Consider another layer of siding to keep the bad guys out instead. Mary

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Chickens regard foam as Popcorn one bite and they can not stop until it is all gone. On the up side it does not seem to cause them any ill effects. If you do decide to use it you will have to cover the area and not leave it exposed to their sharp eyes.

5. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    if you are going to insulate do it from the outside (out of reach of the chickens)

or just cover those holes/gaps with some other materials that they will not likely to peck at.

6. Penny spender

Penny spender Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2016
    What other materials can you suggest?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by