Expanding my flock, any recommendations as to the breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nthm94, Jan 16, 2013.

1. nthm94

nthm94 New Egg

Jun 22, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Title says it all! I have two Indian Runners, and planning on introducing two more ducks to the flock. I am particularly interested in Khaki Campbells, Cayuga or Rouen ducks. Potentially adding a single female and a male, so I'm curious which breeds would produce a quality and fun hybrid with my current girls. Any recommendations are welcome, as well as personal experience/testimonials, and information. [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I adopted some rescued buffs, and they have been a really nice addition to the flock. Our first and only drake, Bean, was one of them. The rest are ducks (girls). Einz, one of my black runners, screamed at the new ducks for about three weeks, and then we all settled down.

3. Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    I LOVE my Welsh Harlequin pair. They are beautiful and calm, good foragers and the females are prolific layers and will sit on eggs. I also love Khaki Campbells. I only owned a drake, (he was my favorite but was killed by a hawk recently) and they too are great layers.

4. nthm94

nthm94 New Egg

Jun 22, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    @amiga Those runners sound just like my gals! Just about anything will set them off to quacking. If I seperate the two of them for even a minute they make such a fuss!

@Nebraskagirl I'm sorry to hear about your loss! Its really unfortunate :(
    But would you tell me more about the Welsh Harlequins? I only know pretty basic things on that breed. You mentioned that the females will actually sit on the eggs. Do you think a female would make a good surrogate brooder for my other girls? They aren't very motherly lol.

5. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    If you mix a Welsh Harlequin with a khaki Campbell, you will get a Golden 300 hybrid, an egg producing monster! They are also sex linked so you can tell boys from girls at birth.

6. Nebraskagirl

Jul 12, 2012
    Yep to this! The Welsh is a light breed, quiet, docile and doesn't make a bunch of honking (unless they are mating..then watch out..lol.) They are a newer breed derived from the Khaki Campbell. The females will sit, if they will sit on OTHER eggs, I am not sure. My welsh girl is young, she will be laying this spring for the first time. They cannot fly, and they forage great! They stay close by and VERY curious. They are also gentle. I LOVE them and I LOVE Khaki Campbells as well.

7. nthm94

nthm94 New Egg

Jun 22, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Well now I think I'm torn between the Welsh Harlequins and Khaki Campbells! If I wasn't so limited by my flocks size (for the next year at least, moving soon and I'll have plenty of space for a large flock) I would get two of each. I'll have to see which are more availible in this area I suppose.

8. starbird

starbird Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    I have two welsh ducks, 1 welsh drake, and 1 buff duck. All three ducks are great and relatively quiet. My welsh ducks lay an egg every day. My buff duck lays an egg almost every day, and she lays an extra extra large egg. Buffy is the least tame duck but she is very pretty and very quiet.

We got all our ducks from Metzer Farms. They will ship as few as 2 ducklings and I highly recommend them.

9. Nebraskagirl

Jul 12, 2012
    I think either the Khaki Campbell or the Welsh Harlequin are both good breeds and you can't go wrong with either one.

10. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I have to advocate Welsh Harlequins. I've had at least four breeds in the past years I've owned ducks and they are my favorite. They are just as friendly and outgoing as pekins, and they're prettier, better parents, and really good layers. The females especially can have really pretty feather patterns. Some even turn out almost snow white with black and brown flecking! Here are some pictures of my current girls and Crackers, my drake who just passed away after valiantly defending his girl from a predator and sacrificing himself in the process:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please ignore the buff, she's not mine :p

Also, it seems we're about four hours from each other :) If you're waiting till spring to get these guys, I'll happily give you some ducklings from my 'test batch' when the girls start laying again.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by