Expanding my flock; Should I get ducks or keep all drakes?

thumper650

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 10, 2018
Maynard, MA
I currently have a pair of 1 year old Pekin drakes, that I got from the pound, my first and only ducks.

They're brothers and started fighting each other since breeding season started. I keep them separated, but visible to each other, they are only together when supervised, because otherwise they will fight.
I really want to get more ducks. Magpies and Fawn and White runners are my top picks, but I have a few questions for this incredibly smart group of people (that's you)!

1) I'd like to keep an all male flock if possible, so I was thinking of getting a runner drake and a magpie drake. I know introductions would need to be slow, and in the fall when hopefully my pekin calm down.

2) Would it be cruel to keep one runner, since they look and kinda move differently.
I have the space to keep the pekins separate where they are, and another house for the new drakes.

3) Would it be better to get three females each for my 2 pekin boys, and would it be ok of they were a different breed, like runners or something else.

Thank you in advance for any help. This really is a great forum.

Some people have luck with all male flocks. Roosters, given enough room, seem to do okay in all male flocks unless they decide to target one of the smaller, weaker birds. Drakes have such a strong sex drive that they will try to breed anything that moves and some inanimate objects. I have serious doubts that an all drake flock would run smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom