expanding my flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by slim1986, Oct 15, 2011.

1. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Its time! I've finally talked the wife into letting me expand my private flock! (meaning my personal flock at home rather than the more "communal" flock at my parents house) anyway, I currently have 1 idk roo (I'll post pics in the breed forum of him later for help on that) and 5 red sex link hens in my private flock, and soon I'm going to get at least 2 more hens to go with them, any thoughts on standard size hens? I'm looking more for looks and broodiness than anything else. I'm wanting to get some pretty girls that will go broody! Or 1 pretty girl, then 1 broody girl, either way, I'll be happy! Thanks for any input!

2. ericwaddle3

ericwaddle3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Brahamas are really pretty birds and the hens go broody and make excellent mothers.

3. EMAW

EMAW Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Meyer Hatchery and My Pet Chicken will ship as few as 3 chicks.

Broody and good looking chickens:

Buff Orpington
    Partridge or Blue Cochin

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with the expansion.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I gotta agree with ericwaddle3, one of my Light Brahmas went broody earlier this year, my first broody ever and she was a good mama. If you decide to get new birds, remember biosecurity and quarantine them for at least 30 days. This will give you time to thoroughly inspect them and time for any diseases to manifest themselves saving you heartache and $$$ in the long run.

5. slim1986

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    I was thinking brahmas because "tigger" (our rooster) looks like a brahma cross and I've heard they go broody, and also I was thinking of getting an EE because my daughter would love the colored eggs! But I'm still not convinced, so and ideas would be appreciated! Thanks for the input yall!

6. slim1986

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    So, I just got home from the swap with 2 buff orpingtons, 2 white cochins, one dark brahma, and 1 partidge cochin and a cuckoo maran chick that came with her! My wife wasn't too thrilled that 1 or 2 hens turned into 7, but she's ok with it now that she's seen them! Thanks ever body for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by