Expanding our pond--pictures

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Before: [​IMG]

After, or should I say during since we have a long way to go!: [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Nice [​IMG]

3. Chriswardens52

Chriswardens52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    Hello I am just wondering how you made this? Did you just dig a hole? Or is there something on the bottom. Im thinking about doings somethings like this.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Looking good! and i imagine was a lot of work to do [​IMG]

5. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Believe it or not, my hubby dug this ENTIRE thing out with a shovel and wheelbarrow. It used to be four feet deep at its deepest, but we just barely drained it last week and it is now all the same depth of about 2 feet of sludge. So......he decided to make it bigger and is in the process of deciding what to do--a never ending process. It has no liner....YET! He is going to rent a backhoe and get it deeper before he does that. What the latest decision is.....dig it out, put a liner in it, put two nice pumps in it and make it a SWIMMING POOL, and then we will dig ANOTHER one in the back corner for the ducks while we have the backhoe. So excited about it. We will fence around both water holes so that my ducks can't get into the pool. We have to get some more willows planted in the back corner for them...they are nice cover for the ducks, they stay in there quite a bit in the heat of the day. Can't wait.

6. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    If you look at the picture of pond that is bigger.....we are going to make the duck pond in the back right corner where there is green grass. It is going to be pretty big, about the size of the pond at first. We will have some kind of pathway between the pool and the pond. Too bad we aren't loaded, if so, it would go a LOT faster....LOL.

7. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Quote:Your hubby sounds like my hubby [​IMG]

8. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Quote:Your hubby sounds like my hubby [​IMG]

You must be one lucky woman, then.....cuz my hubby is amazing. I still wonder sometimes how I got so lucky!

9. whitechicken

whitechicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2008
    Nice,
    we are expanding also (for the third time) .
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    OH MY GOSH....LOVE your pictures. Love 'em. Look at all your ducks. This weekend we went and bought 19 more willows for the pond that will be going to the back of our pasture. The willows we have now next to the current pond are huge and the ducks love them....they spend a lot of time under them when it is really hot outside. So, by spring, we will be moving the ducks towards the new location.....the willows won't be very big yet, but they will be bigger than they are right now.

Thanks so much for sharing....I love to see how everyone has their set up done. Your ducks look like a lot of fun...how many do you have??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by