Expanding run - use chicken wire?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Smorz, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Smorz

Smorz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    We have a run that is 8x20 and completely covered in hardware cloth. Several days a week we contain our chicks during most of the day. We need to expand to give them more room. If the expanded area is an area that can be closed off at night from the other run and the coop, is it necessary to use hardware cloth? I was thinking, to save money, of making it only 4-feet high with a door. I'm wondering how difficult that will make it if (when) I need to clean it out. I see lots of runs 3- or 4-feet high but ours have always been 6 feet high. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    You will hate it! Mine is eight feet tall, and wouldn't consider anything too low to walk in. Also, if you are going to use something other than hardware cloth, consider 2"x4" horse fencing, with hardware cloth along the bottom two or three feet. Much more secure! Any dog can get through chicken wire. My daytime run is chicken wire, with 2"x4" welded wire along the lower two feet, and on a concrete foundation, and covered in chicken wire for hawk protection. It's not as secure as I would like, but has worked for daytime protection. My plan is to totally rebuild it this year! Electrified poultry fencing is wonderful if you have the space for it. See premier1supplies.com. Their poultry supplies catalog is the best! Mary

3. Smorz

Smorz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    Thank you for the reply, Mary. You stated that you wish it were more secure. Is that because you didn't use entirely hardware cloth? I'll check out that site. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by