expanding the coop I bought

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tgblldog70, Sep 12, 2011.

1. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ok I bought a coop online a few mths ago to give a home to our 4 Isa brown hens and that darn rooster LOL, after a few weeks when putting them away at night I see that there is not enough room, so after telling the wife they need a remodel!![​IMG] , We went to home depot bought 7 sheets of 1/2x2x4 panels 8 cinder blocks , two 1/2 inch dowl rods and I have a 4ft x 10 storage unit door (the roof)

So after a few hrs the coop is twice the size and last night we added a lean-to to protect the gals during the rain, so we put them away and I go check on them around 10pm and all 5 are huddled up in two of the 4 nesting boxes????[​IMG] Why would they be doing this??? there roosting bar is 4ft long and there second story loft floor is 4x 3 and there is 4 nesting boxes???? could they just be afraid of the new HUGE coop??[​IMG]

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    What is your roosting bar made of? 2x4's laid wide side up is the best because chickens can't 'grip' a round bar as well as wild birds. This may not be your problem, but if the dowels are your roost that may be the problem.

3. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    They are probably just uneasy about the change, give them a few days to get accustomed to the space. Also are you using the dowel rods for roosts? That seems a little small to me, I have 1x1s for roosts and I know some people use 2x4s. You are a good Chicken Papa for seeing the need for more room and doing something about it!

4. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    thanks for the help and yes the dowl is used for the roosting bar I guess I re-do that on tues. to see if they like that better Thanks again!

5. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    The roost bar higher than the nest boxes? If not that could be the problem....I have 2x3 as roost and recently added a branch as a perch on the run...one of my girls opted to rrost there at night (the branch is only 1.5") go figure! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by