Expat in Hungary

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by VillageChicken, May 24, 2010.

1. VillageChicken

VillageChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello,
    I'm totally new to keeping chickens, and have enjoyed learning and following various topics on this site. I'm from California but live in a small village in Hungary with my wife and 1 year old daughter. It's an adventure learning to keep chickens here in a foreign country without easy access to all that one can find in other places. I guess I'm officially hooked now that I've joined.
    I have a few young hens - I haven't learned all the acronyms yet, 2 BO's, 2 Barred Rocks, and two hens that are the hungarian version of an ISA Brown. I have a roo that was supposed to be a barred PR hen, who according to what I've learned on chicken genetics, is Bb with Mh since he's feathering out gold in the hackles, saddle and wingbars.

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    [​IMG] I have a friend that lives in Hungary. We went to visit a couple of years back and we are going again this summer.

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    [​IMG] Welcome! So nice to have you. It is fun to learn about new places as well as meet wonderful new people! Please post pics when you can. We will all share info and have fun learning. [​IMG]

4. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from California!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I agree! Welcome and post pictures so we can see what Hungary looks like!
    It is like having chicken pen pals. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Jo napot kivanok! Minus all those lovely little symbols above the vowels! It took forever to learn those.

My family is from Hungary,and I spent my summers there.It isn't as *relaxing* as it was when I was a child,but still a neat place to visit.Enjoy your time there.....and the food-YUM!

Eger is a neat little wine town.My mom says there is a web cam that takes daily shots all over the city. Balaton is ofcourse *the* lake to be at during the summer,but I always liked the local town mini lake in Belapatfalva with its weekend mini houses.People would go there to cook out and hang by the lake.It was like camping with a playhouse [​IMG]
    Our town used to be a falu,but I hear it is now a regular big city.

Spending time in other countries is a neat experience.Last time I was in Hungary I stayed almost 2 years.I watched hens being processed quite often.Pigs were a 2 times a year event.Enjoy some fresh milk if it isn't illegal now there too! I miss my breakfast bread-fresh loaves and little kifli.Save some seeds.Tomato and peppers are great.
    Now I want to visit,lol.

Have fun!

8. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome from California. We visited Hungary last year. Lovely countryside. Hope you are enjoying the experience! Cheers! [​IMG]

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio.

10. NWChicks

NWChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    [​IMG] from Washington State!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by