expecting 13 bantams by thursday..... need some info

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by irmad, Jul 27, 2013.

1. irmad

irmad Songster

Jun 22, 2013
    UK
    2 questions.. ..

-Can I give layers mash to my chicks or should I give chick starter when my chicks hatch?
    -what can I use as bedding frome day 1, news paper, kitchen towels or saw dust?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Crowing

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Chick starter and I use paper towels for first week or so then I switch over to pine bedding. Don't use news paper they will get sparled legs news paper is to slick.

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Use chick starter until they are at or close to laying age

My girls went into a plastic tote and since it was slippery I put down those puppy pee pads and pine shavings

edited to add: I used shredded newspaper over the puppy pads for the first day or two before I picked up the pine shavings, my chicks had no issues with the paper but I didn't use it every long. I've read negative things about it since.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  4. irmad

irmad Songster

Jun 22, 2013
    UK
    I'm assuming I use dust extracted pine shavings?

I will use paper towels for the first week in the brooder and then pine shavings.

I candled all thirteen eggs and they look alive and kicking.... I hope they all hatch.

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    My bag says "pine shavings" [​IMG] I got them from my farm store. Same thing any animal would use. Good luck hatching those eggs!!

6. irmad

irmad Songster

Jun 22, 2013
    UK
    Thank you chirpychick1 and every that replied. Im new to hatching.... for the first time i incubated and hatched quail eggs 3 weeks ago and I had 100% hatch. Thank you for everyones kind advice on this forum.

Back to bantam eggs. Would anyone know what day I should be doing incubator lock down.... 18-19 day?

Will let you know the outcome soon.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: