expecting 5 new babies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by natgraf, May 30, 2016.

1. natgraf

natgraf Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    Hi there chicken enthusiasts! I live in PA, have 3 young children (6,3,1), and I just did something wacky.... ordered 5 day old chicks... I've done lots of reading, feel confident in the initial stages, but I"m having trouble formulating my coop and run plan. We have a side yard that's about 150 sq feet. I want to have a small coop, and then use my existing fence at the side yard (bordered by 1/2 inch mesh fence), to make the run.

For the run... if I have at least 10 sq feet per bird, which I will, and it will be predator proof at all times, do I need a coop that's 4 sq ft per bird? Even though they will have the ability to go in and out of the coop into the run as they please?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I'm sure you will do great with your new chicks! How exciting for you and your children :D How much space chickens need can be a differing thing for people. Giving them as much room as you can is always best. Have a read of the is article ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

The coop section also has some fab plans ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Wishing you the very best of luck on your new adventure. Be sure to ask all the questions you need to, everyone here to help.

Enjoy BYC :frow

3. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Hi and welcome to BYC I am glad you could join us. Please make yourself at home and if you ever need anything I and many others are here to help.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Y/coop has given you some good links already, so i will just say hi and welcome [​IMG]

All the best
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    :welcome
    Congrats on your new chicks!

7. natgraf

natgraf Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    thank you!

8. natgraf

natgraf Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    are there any useful posts or specific resources you'd recommend for people who have small children and chickens? There are two reasons why my chickens can't be completely "free range". the first, I don't want poop all over where the children play in the back yard, and 2, we have a dog, and until I know exactly how that's going to work, the chickens can't go free.

9. Rite rules on the side of the box for the kids and tell them to be care ful,good luck!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you live in a temperate area that doesn't have extreme weather swings - you may be able to get by with a smaller coop because the chickens will spend most of their time outside. BUT, chickens hate being crowded and react in bad ways. If the can't have a big enough coop, it would be best to cut down on the numbers of birds you will house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by