Expecting chicks? call PO

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bwaaak!, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Bwaaak!

Bwaaak! Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    It is a good idea, like others have suggested, to call a couple days in advance and let your post office know you are expecting chicks. Leave your name, address and phone number with them.

I used to work for my local post office and chicks are normally delivered around 5 am there. I called mine at 5:15 am and they were in although the postal lady in charge of the chicks said she was going to wait till 6 am to ring me.

So, if you are expecting chicks ask them when chicks arrive there. Then on that day... call soon after.

Barb

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I always call as soon as I place my order and tell the gals at the post office about when to expect the eggs. They called me at seven a.m. this morning [​IMG]

3. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I wanted to call my post office to tell them the chicks were coming, but I couldn't figure out which post office would get them! There are about 7 near me, and it turns out they came into a transfer station-thingy, which is farther from me than most POs.

Anyway, I didn't expect them so early and the phone rang before dawn and I was asleep and disoriented and didn't answer in time. The message just said, "::::peep peep peep!!::: Hi, Lisa, this is Kathy at the Post Office and we have your baby chicks here for you. The window opens at 7am. :::peep peeep peep::: :::click:::" Well, I had to call all seven locations to find them, and one didn't answer the phone and finally another location tracked them down for me and it turned out they were at the one that wasn't answering the phone! Anyway, it's all good because I still got there at about 7:01am to pick them up and the people were really nice and the chicks were right at the window and warm and all alive.

Anyway, that's my story... and I guess my only advice is it would be worthwhile to figure out WHICH post office is the right one for you, and then to let them know ahead of time. Everyone was so nice, but it would have saved me some trouble. Also, it is good to know (from the above posts) that chicks normally come that early in the morning. I basically couldn't believe they were there so early and totally wasn't expecting them that day, let alone before dawn on Monday morning!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  4. Bwaaak!

Bwaaak! Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    I am soooo glad you got to your chicks! Thinking back, my post office doesnt usually answer calls before opening time. I musta gotten lucky!

It sure is stressful this chick stuff, eh?

5. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    [​IMG] yeah... that was 7 weeks ago now, and it's been all fun and games until yesterday when we had a hawk attack my favorite girl! The update, though is that she is doing well to day and we're keeping our fingers crossed.

When I got that call that early in the morning I was TOTALLY unprepared and ran around like a crazy person trying to make everything totally perfect for them. I heard their little peeps and I was just picturing their dropping off one at a time as I called looking for the right PO and rushed around preparing their brooder, feed, and water! In the end, it all worked out, though [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I always call the post office before the chicks are susposed to be shipped to give them a heads up that they are coming.

7. gimme sum eggs

gimme sum eggs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    South Branch, MI
    I gave the postal worker a sheet of paper that had my name, address, phone #, and expected receiving dates on it. At the top, it said "Baby chicks coming" I handed it to the postal worker and asked her to call me as soon as they came in. The same message was on the note I left her. I wrote it in a black sharpie marker in large writing so it stood out vs. all the pen a pencil written stuff that might be on her desk.
    I got the call at 8:00 a.m. the next day telling me they were in. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by