Expecting chicks the week of Oct 29 Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sparrker, Oct 9, 2012.

1. sparrker

sparrker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    I just put an order in with Meyer Hatchery for 34 chicks, and 1 meal maker. I've ordered Partridge rocks(2), white rocks(2), cuckoo marans(3), silver laced wyandotte(2), golden laced wyandotte(2), speckled sussex(2), delawares(2), easter eggers(11), welsummers(4), and golden buffs(4).I can see in my order they are throwing in one extra easter egger.
    I've ordered from privett before and had good luck but I don't like how far they have to travel. Meyers is a lot closer, hope I have as good of luck.
    Patti

2. humphrey farms

humphrey farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    Naples Maine
    I have 15 silverlaced wyandottes coming on the Oct 29 th hatch?? I live in Maine and hope they will be ok w/temps.

3. sparrker

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    We get real cold here too and a ton of snow from the lakes. I am confident they'll be warm. I'm more worried about their water freezing. I already have 27 chickens, but these girls will be in a different coop.And I dread trudging in the waist deep snow.

4. humphrey farms

humphrey farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    Naples Maine
    We'll be snowblowing a path to our coop. Do you plan to have heat for your babies this winter?? NY is like ME. it can get below zero and have tons of snow??

5. sparrker

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    No heat, but I do insulate and tyvex wrap it and have a good roof vent. I've read heat is bad, if we lose power they could freeze to death. They will grow lots of feathers for the cold, kinda like wild animals with their winter coats.

6. sparrker

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    Any one else getting chicks?

7. NJchixs

NJchixs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Jackson, NJ
    Me me me! But mine are coming the 23 or 24th. I got a surprise pack from Taylor hobby farms so the number of chicks will be between 15-26. I can't wait :D

8. sparrker

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    Chicks should be here tomorrow. So excited. Got everything set up in the basement. I ready for you chickies. Hope it's not tooo cold for you.

9. Rosy0917

Rosy0917 New Egg

Oct 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    I just got my order from Meyer last week. All chicks doing great! Although down here I don't really have to worry about the snow much.

10. kittynoodlesoup

kittynoodlesoup Just Hatched

Jul 23, 2012
    Florida
    I'm expecting chicks from mypetchicken.com! 6 babies :). I called customer service because I was nervous about Sandy, but they said everything should be delivered as scheduled. CANT WAIT!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by