Expecting first Ducklings

janewoodjetts

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2016
kent UK
Help, my Muscovys free range by day and have a lovely house in their night pen . However one decided to nest under an old pallet in the middle of the garden . We secure her under it at night . Problem now with 7 days to go, is what do I do when they hatch? These are my first . Do I leave them with mum where without a proper shelter they may get cold, do I remove them bring them in ? Help I don't have a clue . Did think about moving mum and babes into the night pen but then they would be together in there with the other female and the drake. As a last resort I could make room indoors for both mum and babies but how would I do that, just grab the baes and hope she follows?
Really need advice here please asap

I would advise that you bring them indoors, in maybe a garage or shed if possible- otherwise the babies will very quickly be killed off by predators.
Thank you, for reply, we have decided to enclose her nest area under her pallet, so she will have her own nursery pen and can continue to use the pallet as her house.

Hi, welcome to BYC!

The mom will keep them warm she is their shelter. I would be more worried about predators.

With chickens, I move them in the middle of the night, Nobody is hard to catch that way. I haven't had much luck moving mom and nest, they wouldn't stay where I wanted... but never had any problem if I wait until the chicks are hatched and then move them. They always stay with the chicks so far. Though I had one move them back to her original spot as soon as they were mobile enough.

Good luck! :fl
Thank you we are in UK so only predators to get her are foxes, and we have secured her 'pallet' now I know they will be warm enough with mum, hubby has decided to sort of 'pen in' her pallet so they have their own enclosed area . This is worse than waiting for the grandchildren ,

Hi, welcome to BYC!

The mom will keep them warm she is their shelter. I would be more worried about predators.

With chickens, I move them in the middle of the night, Nobody is hard to catch that way. I haven't had much luck moving mom and nest, they wouldn't stay where I wanted... but never had any problem if I wait until the chicks are hatched and then move them. They always stay with the chicks so far. Though I had one move them back to her original spot as soon as they were mobile enough.

Good luck! :fl

Great idea closing in her pallet, because you want to keep the ducklings safe and away from dad scovy till they are at least 2-3 weeks old and able to keep out of his way.

Back
Top Bottom