1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Experation Date for Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Soj, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Chicken Soj

Chicken Soj In the Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello,

I have had this question for years, i have just always thought that it was a stupid question. in my family, we dont eat a ton of eggs. i always find myself giving away eggs that have been sitting in the fridge from a day old to six days old. i was wondering if you had any methods that i could find an experation date on an egg? i dont want to give anyone food posining from a bad egg that my hens made.

Thanks!

Chicken Soj

2. Judy

Judy Crowing Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They keep a whole lot longer than that, even at room temp, though they do stay fresh longer if refrigerated. The ones I can buy in the grocery store are usually about a month old. They link below tells how to read the codes on an egg carton. In Europe they sell eggs off the shelf; they don't refrigerate them. Really, if an egg is bad, you will know by the smell when you crack it. Mother Earth news did an extensive study several years ago on storing eggs and how long they keep. I'm sure it's still on their website. As I recall, they were edible for 6 months if stored in ideal conditions.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/EggsSell.htm

1 person likes this.
  3. Chicken Soj

Chicken Soj In the Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    Thank you! That helps alot. i have always wondered that.

Chicken Soj

4. AuntB

AuntB In the Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    Granite Bay, CA
    You can also float your eggs to see how fresh they are. If they lay flat on the bottom of a pan of water, they're fresh. If they stand up with one end touching the bottom of the pan, better use them soon because they're not as fresh. If they float, throw them out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by