Experieced hatchers.. HELP ME! I am so conflicted. long ??'s

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by annrich, Jun 12, 2008.

1. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    Ok so I am on my second go with my homemade green-junk-o-bator. Day 19 starts this evening. I tested a lot with this bator before setting my 15 blue orp eggs. Temps stayed steady humidity.. Now the temps are all over the map. I know its the weather. Major heat wave on the east cost. I put the bator in my most stable and coolest room. I have an acurite thermo. And 2 others to check the temps against. They are all reading the same. Its either to hot or to cold. The bulb is cycling on and off correctly so I don't get it. I ripped off the lid when I seen it at 110 degrees. Candled an egg and it was ok. I did give a broody buff orp a couple of eggs. I have 2 broodys out their arguing over them when one of them gets a drink and eats the other steals them. Its nice that one of them is always with the eggs. I guess they are co parenting. So my ?? is should I keep going with this JUNK -o- bator I made. Or give the eggs to the mamas. One of my broodys is experienced, my buff orp this is her first time. I want the blue orps so bad I dream about it. I know im nuts. I waited a year to get the eggs. ahh.

So I am waiting on you guys.. Should I up the humidity and lock down my piece of junk. Or take the eggs to the hens??
    Thanks,
    Ann

2. rroven

rroven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    They say that on day 18 that itis not unusual for the temps to spike...because of the eggs believe it or not...I am having the same problems at day 17 ...not as high as 110 but still well over 101.5. I'd lock it down and pray...hard.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  3. annrich

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    Has anyone moved 19 day incubated eggs to a broody hen before?

Would it be like moving them to a hatcher?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I just put a duck egg under my broody as I had no other egg due to hatch at the same time. Her eggs were set one week later. It hatched just fine under her right along with the chicks. I moved it under her at day 26 of 28.

5. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    I thought it was two-thirds of the way through the 21 days or so that temps began to spike and that you were supposed to adjust temps down accordingly? No? Keystonepaul

6. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    This may not be helpful but if I were you I would split my bet and keep half in the bator and put half under the broodies. Just my $.02

7. annrich

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    Quote:I was thinking that too.

8. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    If you can trust your broodies, i would give all the eggs to them, if you cant get your bator regulated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by