Experience anyone with McMurray's rare laying special???

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by karri25, Feb 1, 2008.

1. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    My Aunt and I are thinking of ordering 25 of the hens only, rarist of the rare, laying special. Has anyone ordered this before???? What breeds do you typically get?

I just want some pretty banties for my frizzle and oegb roos that I can't part with but won't it be neat if we get something neat [​IMG]

2. mergmet

mergmet Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought the rarest of the rare are standard size? I ordered this selection early last year and got a nice assortment including cuckoo marans, silver pencilled wyandottes, silver leghorn, hamburg, phonix, and modern game.

I think you will get something different every time. I was pleased with the selection and the chickens did well.

If you are looking for bantams I think they had a bantam assortment...

M

3. karri25

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    Man, why did I think they were mixing banties and standard??? I can't get the banty assortment as I have already opened my big mouth and agreed to go in halves :-( Oh well, I guess I'll have some pretty layers.

4. mergmet

mergmet Chillin' With My Peeps

maybe you can take the smaller ones! I think it was straight run also....

good luck!

At worst you will have some pretty chickens and you can always sell the ones you don't want.

You'll probably get fabulous ones since you are really wanting something else!

margaret

5. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Quote:Not if it is the Layer assortment.

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    They have several different assortments, one's an Ornamental Layer Collection, is that the one? I'm also of the opinion that the Rarest of the Rare only comes in strait run?

And I know they don't sex bantams there. MPC is the ONLY hatchery I know of that does.

7. karri25

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    It is the ornamental layer collection. They have cochins though. Would cochins and banties like each other??? [​IMG]

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I only like what I like (did that make sense?) so I *generally* stay away from assortments, though I did order bantams from Ideal when they had their $0.85 deal going on.

Cochins are pretty laid back, if you get some, you will probably like them. But, there's no saying what you will get from an assortment.

9. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    We ordered this last spring (ornamental layer) - unfortunately I don't have anymore, 12 of the shipment died the day we got them (the rest were killed by a dog with the rest of my flock).

We got quite a few EE's, buttercups, cochin, mottled houdan, golden polish, a black faced spanish (?from guesses here on the board). I'll try to find my pictures to remember the rest. I just remember a lot of EE's.

10. karri25

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    If they arrive and half of them die like thta won't Mcmurray replace them???

It's hard for me to spend any $$ right now especially since what I REALLY want are black tailed white japs and BLRW.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by