Experience wirth Automatic door from Foys

tinkx

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 1, 2009
Hi All

I am considering getting one of these

http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/2100-2107.html

I am not mechanically inclined and don't want to build one on my own. The instruction posted for the device itself was enough to make my brain go numb.

If you have one installed, is it battery operated or does it require electricity? How tall is the full assembly? Sensor or timer? Any advice/warnings on using it?

I'm looking at getting it because I am in an urban setting and the chickens are LOUD LOUD LOUD for no good reason (its not the egg song, its not cute, etc) and I am hoping to keep them in the henhouse until a reasonable hour of the morning. Due to the recent time change, they were up, at full volume, at 6:15 am.

Thanks in advance

I have one and I love it. It is very easy to install. It comes with a sensor, but since you don't want them outside at first light, you'll need to buy the timer too. It works on batteries. As to total height, think in terms of twice the height of your pop door, so that it can open fully, plus a space of about 8 inches for the opener and a gap of a couple of inches between the opener and the top of the opened door. They are awful expensive, but for anyone who is not always home at the right times to let them out, and close them back in, it is worth it.

Yeah I was trying to figure out the height because I am not sure if my henhouse is tall enough. What parts did you order...since the website is superunhelpful about that detail

it's the best thing for my coop that I have bought!! I bought the 9x12 door to go with it as I didn't think I could make one that would work as well as theirs. I love it because I don't have to worry about being home to lock them up or let them out. We just went away for the last 3 days and didn't have to find someone to let them in and let them out each day. I've been away up to a week with no problems.

Only problem I've had is getting the timer set just right with the changing of seasons. It just takes a little work to make sure it's not staying open after dark or not opening when the sun comes up. I've locked them out a couple times before I get it. A little flick of the timer fixes the problem

Quote:
You'll need either 2100 or 2101, the timer 2102, and one of the three doors. I made my own door using "U" channel from the hardware store and a 5/8 in thick polyethelene cutting board. The sensor must be a replacement if the included one goes bad. The idler/pulley is just for those who place the opener off to the side rather than directly above the door. PM me if you have any more specific questions.

The timer is battery operated not one that is plugged in that you can get at any ol' store for $10. Besides some people (myself included) are not electronicly gifted. I love my autodoor from Foy's. I saved and saved until I had enough money to get one.

Quote:
I don't understand how this works as there is no electric plug-in on the controller (it is battery operated). Two wires go from the timer to small pins inside the controller.

Quote:
I don't understand how this works as there is no electric plug-in on the controller (it is battery operated). Two wires go from the timer to small pins inside the controller.

Exactly!! If they haven't seen the product close up, they can't say what will work with it and what won't.

Back
Top Bottom