Experience with diapers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tropical Chickies, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Tropical Chickies

Tropical Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    I was wondering how everyone's experience has been with chicken diapers? I wanted to get a couple, but wondered if the chickens rear had to be washed after the diaper? Does the poop get stuck in their feathers when they wear the diaper?

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

i would think that it would. Never used them. Are you planning to keep them inside?[​IMG]

3. Tropical Chickies

Tropical Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    I won't keep them inside, just wanted to bring my special ones in the house on occassion. Just for a little bit.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It depends (pun not intended.. but funny!) on the fit of the diaper. And how often it's changed. Like humans, chickens can be sort of not quite the right size. So it could fit closer to the source and need more cleaning than otherwise. Also, they might act super weird first time you put them on. Like back up and try to get their legs caught in there. Pretty successfully, from my experience. Unless the diaper is pretty tight. But then you dont' want it too tight. /sigh

Hopefully yours aren't that type. I found it easier just to wipe up the poo. I suppose is depends (that word again!) on how long you are going to keep them in and the ease of cleaning the floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by