Experience With Introducing New Silkies To Your Silkie Flock???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PamB, Sep 22, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Hi All! I was wondering if anyone had experience with this and, if so, could you please share it with me? I am considering introducing two 6 month old Silkie hens to my twelve 3 month old Silkies. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts/advice? Thanks!

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:We went on vacation this mid-summer and needed to combine two month olds and four month olds so the people who were taking care of our birds wouldn't have such difficulty. I literally placed the two little ones in with the two not-so-little ones, and NOTHING happened. No attacking, no fighting, not bickering, nada. Worked out perfectly. They just molded together as one flock. It was chicken harmany. [​IMG] Doubt this'll be the case with all Silkies but hey, ya never know.

One feature that helped was that my birds have very large crests. Blocked alot of the vision to the new-comers, so even if they wanted to fight, they'd do very little damage.

3. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Thanks for responding! That is good news. I'm hoping it isn't too difficult. My silkies seem so sweet, even to eachother, but I'm sure they could surprise me and be aggressive. [​IMG] I hope I have a similar experience to yours!

Anyone else??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by