Experience with Runner Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thecluckenfarm, Nov 15, 2014.

1. thecluckenfarm

thecluckenfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    Butlerville, Arkansas
    I am wanting to exclusively have runner ducks and hatch their eggs. I am about a year in with ducks in general but still consider myself a newbie. I currently have a pair of American fawn and whites. I originally got them because they were just too good of a deal to pass up, but now that I have had them for a few months I have absolutely fallen in love. I call them my t-rex's without arms[​IMG] Their disposition is like none I have ever seen and my male protects his woman from the other violent men's advances lol. So now that I have said my speal, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the breed. I have done tons of research, but would like to hear from people with experience. Any and all advice is welcome, and thank you in advance!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I love love love my Runners.

They are smart, thrifty, and communicate very well.

Mine are not good in cold below 35 degrees and sunny - they get chilled - rather, half of them seem to get chilled. They seem pretty good in hot weather - they do need shade, and fresh water especially in hot weather.

I feed mine organic layer feed. I find a few of them need extra calcium. Zwei seems to like oyster shell and does fine. A few others do, too. But Sieben and Sechs especially lay soft eggs without some kind of supplement in addition to the layer feed.

Lately I have been dissolving two 250 mg calcium citrate tablets in water, adding that to their feed daily. And we have fewer soft eggs [​IMG]This is breaking news, I believe - I have not yet shared this on the forum.

Sechs, and to a lesser extent, Fünf and Elf go broody. Sechs and Fünf, guaranteed every year will brood. Elf likes to help. Sechs sticks it out minimum 28 days, the others, maybe yes, maybe no. I let them sit on duds - I want to know who's broody in case I decide to let them hatch.

They are not skittery at all. They keep a sharp lookout when they are awake. They honk at 2 to 3 second intervals if there is a big concern.

They are excellent slug eaters and foragers. I make sure they have feed and fresh water 24/7.

3. thecluckenfarm

Jul 20, 2014
    Butlerville, Arkansas
    I also use organic layer pellets and oyster shell, she has not started laying as of yet, they have a huge pond and unlimited supply of feed. I have a small 'bird barn' that has pine needles. We live in the middle of a bunch of pines. A third of the yard is pines they hang out there a lot sifting. The other is pond and grass.

Recently I have been thinking about getting several different colors and breeding. I'm currently trying to figure out plans with my old man to have a nice set up for them away from the other ducks, but where they won't be lonely.

I have read that they can be high strung. I'd like to incubate the so we can "socialize" them. All of our ducks will run around with us in the yard but none will come up to you. I'd like some that will. Have read that runners will do that if they are around humans from hatch.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Mine are friendly, and anything but high strung. They are energetic, and compared to the Runners, our Buffs seem quite slow. I have a few that are huggers, and all will come in close especially when there are treats to be had.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  5. thecluckenfarm

Jul 20, 2014
    Butlerville, Arkansas
    I lied, my old man said we are not rich enough for organic feed. (Whoops) lol My ducks are so laid back. My male is almost shy. I just love them to death!

6. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Amiga-I am interested in hearing more about the calcium citrate tabs in the water. Mine have all pretty much stopped laying, so I imagine it is not necessary to do it now. But maybe for next year. But what about the drakes? Can't be good for them to get the extra calcium in the water, is it? This is very interesting.......................

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    We only have the one drake, and due to interpersonal - umm, interduck dynamics, Bean, Hazel and Carmella have their own suite. For them, I go more with oyster shell in the drinking water, and try to make sure Bean gets low-calcium treats more often. It is not a science at this point. But he seems fine.

That makes it easy to manage the Runners, who tend to have more soft egg layers (well, there are just more of them, too). Two 250 mg tablets dissolved in water daily added to food.

8. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Interesting. You put the oyster shell in the water? I just have always left a bowl out. Do you do this year round, when they are not laying?

9. thecluckenfarm

Jul 20, 2014
    Butlerville, Arkansas
    Never heard of it in water. I get a bag and add to feed.

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The Buff girls like to fish for it in the water, and Bean does not. The Runners get either a bowl on the side, or in their water for fun and calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by