Experienced Blue Laced Red Breeders, Advice Appreciated

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by big medicine, Feb 19, 2011.

1. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    I have been looking over my blue laced red Brahma project cockerels, deciding who my keepers are. My biggest and best built cockerel is a splash. This is the first splash male I have considered putting in the breeding pen. I would like the advise of those that have been breeding this color. The females in this pen will consist of 3 black, 7 blue, and 1 splash/ laced red. My concern is if I might be going too light.

This cockerel is my darkest, but he is lacking in size. Not really in consideration.
    [​IMG]

The splash.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Possble keepers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  2. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    We raise the BLRW and what I do is put a Gold Laced male out of the BLR'S on Splash hens so out of that breeding everything should be BLR, So you should be able to put a Splash male on Golden or Red hens out of the BLR to get the same thing.

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue / 25% Black / 25% Splash

Blue X Splash = 50% Blue / 50% Splash

Blue X Black = 50% Blue / 50% Black

Splash X Black = 100% Blue

Black X Black = 100% Black

Splash X Splash = 100% Splash

Steve

3. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    To get the deep red color keep from using birds with gold in the hackle and saddle feathers. Using the ones with gold in them is taking a step backwards in color.

4. big medicine

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    So looking at the pictures, are the bottom 2 getting too orange ? What's the feel on the color of the splash ?

5. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    your splash has really wide lacing in the front- I don't know that I would use that one. if you are using him on black laced, you may be ok, the blues and other splashes are where you are going to run into trouble.
    IMHO.
    personally, I like a splash that is dark based with out being so wide on the white lace that you lose the center coloring, but you have to choose out of what you have to work with. choosing your best coloring over your best lacing, fixing the lacing in the next crossing.
    and I like possible keeper number 1 over orangy number 2

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  6. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    I would agree with hoppy on this one. I also like a dark based splash. I also like keeper number one over orangey #2.

7. big medicine

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Ok, I have always gone with type first, and then best pattern. My silver laced were simpler, only dealing with black and white. Now I have to factor depth of color as well. I am hesitant to use a lesser typed male dispite having darker saddles. So I guess maybe what I need to know, or maybe be convinced, how much damage would I do to the color of the line by not using the little dark male ?(As suggested in a couple PM's)

8. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    We don't raise Brahmas so I am not an expert on their body type, but if the first rooster has good type and he does have very nice color than I would use him. You can catch up in size easier than you can the color and type....but pair him with larger hens. We learned from breeding the BLRWs that a lot of the color comes from the rooster and you get type from the hen. This doens't mean you should breed a bad color hen, but she should at least have decent color. We have used smaller roosters on large hens and hatched some monster chicks. I am not sure what everyone else is doing these days, but we never breed splash roosters. We breed blue on blue and on occasion we use a splash hen if she has awesome type and color. When you breed the other colors together the blue is here and there and you have no consistency. When we get the BLRWs close to being accepted into the APA we have to have the same general blue. You can't put 50 BLRWs in a show room and have some powder blue, medium blue and dark blue....the judges would shake their head and walk away. Just my opinion.

9. big medicine

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    OK, did some more studying on my blue males.

The dark cockerel is very small, narrow, not of good type, so other than his dark color he does not have much going for him.

The splash cockerel has good size and width of back and skull. His type if compared to SQ Brahmas I would call weak, but is the best of the lot at this stage of development of these birds. Areas he could use improvement is foot feathering. While pea combed, it's not perfect and he has alot of wattle for a pea combed bird, so I suspect he is not homogeneous for pea comb. Both of these can be worked with. Now the big unknown for me is how his color will affect the next generation. Does him being splash have an effect on the color of his saddles, or if he was blue would he still have the same color saddles? I have a couple more photos of him in the shade this time( or mostly). So tell me (maybe for a second time) if you think using him would be a mistake. I have not been breeding this color long enough to to have an educated opinion of the likely outcome, so need some advice. I will probably use 2 males in this breeding pen, the other likely contender is the dark nailed cockerel second from last in the original post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  10. turbo

turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2007
    Eastview, Ky
    That is the big problem with working with the Blue Laced Red Wyandottes...you have to walk a fine line between type and color, so for me it meant really slow going and raising out hundreds of chicks to come with just a few decent typed and colored birds.

If the splash is out of a hen that carried good mahogany red you can probably still come up with some decently colored birds...you would need to hatch out a ton of chicks.. I am guessing you used silver laced for this project? I could be wrong, but the brassy hackles in a cockerel is a classic sign of using SL, normally the pullets will carry the gold gene and have pretty dark red hackles. Good hackle color is the key to having good mahogany red in the birds, I wouldnt worry about shades of blue at all...that is an easy fix.

If nothing else and if you have the room you could use the less typey but better colored cockerel for a few weeks and raise out those chicks and try and pull some decent typed, good colored birds to use this fall or next spring.

In the BLRW I have had to use a good colored cock bird with not so good type in my breeding pens..it took me longer to get good type on them, but I kept the good color. When I tried to breed for good type and didnt worry about the color, I have great typed--but horribly colored BLRW...I ended up having to get rid of them since I couldnt get the color back in them.

The blue laced red color pattern is the toughest thing I have ever worked with...its the only variety I have ever worked with that I had to paint the barn as I built the barn...normally I just build the barn and then paint it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by