Experienced chicken people ~ your thoughts =)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicknhawaii, Jun 14, 2008.

1. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I have a question I've been mulling over and now that we've been separated from Chick-Chick, I'm even more curious what everyone here thinks. [​IMG]

We had to tent the house for termites Thursday so we had to find places for everyone in the household to stay. Chick-Chick was able to stay with my daughter's classmate's family who took home Chick-Chick's sister. Needless to say, it was a very different place for her to stay and she wasn't able to wander free like she does here.

We tried to put the sisters together and Chick-Chick 2 did NOT like our Chick-chick...and yep they have the same name by chance lol. They were bumping chests and posturing, circling (I've never seen hens do this) and I had to separate them b/c Chick-Chick 2 started to peck at our Chick-Chick's eyes. [​IMG]

Anyway, she started clucking (where it actually sounds like the typical clucking you hear) that evening when we were leaving and ever since we picked her up last night, she's been clucking up at us. BTW I REALLY missed her! People think I'm nuts, I know it... [​IMG]

My question: do you think chickens have emotions? Are they capable of feeling attachment other than running towards us b/c we're the food source? She seems to be happy to be home but I think it's more the familiar living space more than seeing us again. [​IMG] And the fact that she can go hunting for those big roaches again...augh!

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    my husband swears by putting chickens together at night in the dark, then they get along better. we usually do that when we are adding new chickens. I don't know about just having 1 chicken. is that all you have??
    I thought chickens were like potato chips, can't have just one!!!

3. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    chickens totally have emotions! they are just like cats or dogs or any other social animal. My chickens have certain friends that they hang out with, so I think that in itself is a strong indicator that they have emotional attachments. I have one little 3 month old girl chick that loves me. she always wants to be with me and loves to be held. I have another boy the same age who was raised for the first month by a broody hen, but then I saw a sweet personality in him so I stuck him with my caged chicks. he's a little hard to catch, but once he is caught, he just is so cuddly. He'll easily fall asleep while I'm holding him. the friendliest ones are always looking up at me to make eye contact like they're trying to make an emotional connection. and when I spend extra special time with one chick, it is definitely more and more trusting.

4. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I have a "midgit" frizzle banty roo that's about 8 weeks old and only about 3" high who runs to me when I go to feel him and his buddys. When I put my hand in the pen he runs up to it and will peck me, not hard and stay close and comes to have me pick him up. Sort of like, "here I am, get me!"

I have a Blue Splash OEGB hen that sings to the top of the rafters when I come to feed them. She likes to be held also.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    they sure have emotions. I always get the stinkface when i only bring chickenfood and no noodles.

6. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

zatsdeb ~ no, she's not the only one lol the enablers here forced me into addiction...I have 3 but the 2 browns are too young to put with Chick-Chick yet.

conny ~ I know that stinkface well!!!!! I get that from Chick-Chick once in awhile!

TY all for your thoughts. [​IMG] I thought maybe I was imagining things. However...I think Chick-Chick's mad at me now b/c she kinda avoids me. [​IMG] I think she's realized that it's my fault she had to change homes for a night! [​IMG]

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Of course they do. Our Ameraucana (12+ weeks old) is very close to my daughter...if she is out around the 2 week olds, she ignores them but let my daughter walk into the room and she will immediately try to attack the little ones. She does not want my daughter near those babies.

When we took our SLW to school the Ameraucana screamed bloody murder the entire hour and half we were gone. Thn she dissed my daughter for 2 hours before she would let her pick her up.

They are very emotional. hahahahaha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by