Experienced hatchers -we need your brains!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kerrihornenc, Apr 27, 2011.

1. kerrihornenc

kerrihornenc Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Boonville NC
    Wondering what the protocol/steps are for a successful hatch! Last year, before I was knowledgeable, I set a bunch of eggs in the incubator, kissed them fondly, wished them luck, and had a great hatch rate. This year, trying to be more 'correct', ive monitored humidity, closely watched temperature, and have the eggs in a turner. Im suffering hatch failure - out of about 25 eggs, due to hatch yesterday, I have 2 pipped out at about noon today, but no successful hatching quite yet... Just wondering what Im doing wrong and if anybody can please help me! SUPER depressing! I got a digital thermometer (reading 98.6 at the very bottom of the incubator) with 75% humidity. No air circulator though? Please help! Wondering if taking them out of the turner and laying them flat on the incubator could be causing failure? I realize the temp is a little low too, but with these thermostats in the Little Giant bators, Im terrified to keep cranking it up because I dont wanna bake em! I candled everyone, and they all seemed grown... I did notice that this hatch, at day 19, there seemed to be some vein involvement at the top close to the air pocket, which seemed slightly immature for the stage they were at.. Idk, sorta at a loss and thinking of switching to lizards! [​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

This is a still air? Temp should be 101-102. Your temp is 98.6 which is too low. You need to get the reading on the top of the eggs. Humidity should be around 65% for hatching. I keep it around 65% for hatching in my still air and 70-75% when hatching in my forced air.

What was your humidity during incubation?

3. kerrihornenc

Apr 26, 2010
    Boonville NC
    Humidity during incubation varied between 55% and 65%.

4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    98.6 is too low for any incubator. They may not be dead just late with temps that low. Give it a day or 2 to catch up. Have you ever candled eggs before?

5. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Quote:Agree that you need 100+degrees at egg level in a still air. They are probably going to be OK but may take several extra days to hatch. I would not really worry until day 23.

6. kerrihornenc

Apr 26, 2010
    Boonville NC
    Yes. Definitely have candled eggs. Im positive these were developing appropriately, however, unlike others at 19 days, I noticed veins next to the air sac. I commented at the time that these eggs seemed to be less mature. I realize the temp is too low Im just reticent to crank it up and bake them... Everything I read indicated that a lower temp would slow hatch rate, and a high would kill it.. I figured since it was recommended at 99.5 that 98.6 probably wasnt terrible. This was my first time using this fancy digital thermometer, and since its heavy, it sits at the bottom. I also assumed that the temp probably is higher on top of the eggs and its likely closer to 99.5 at the top of the egg... Im not unwilling to wait... I definitely saw 2 eggs rocking yesterday, and now 2 different ones are pipped out.. At this point, will turning up the temp fix it!?

7. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    But 99.5 is for a forced air not still air. You need to be at about 101.5
    You are a good 3 degrees under where you need to be.... Also the humidity is too high. What are your aircells like? Nice and big or small?

8. kerrihornenc

Apr 26, 2010
    Boonville NC
    Air cells seem large...since the chicks have pipped, I havent opened the incubator again in case I kill them...If I turn it up, will it correct the slowness? And, I misspoke...the humidity during incubation ranged between 47%-55%, and now its between 70-75%. Any opinions on removing them from the turner and causing an issue? Should I also let them hatch upright?

9. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Since they are hatching now I don't think I would mess with anything. You should take them out of the turner at day 18. I have hatched in the turner before but only because I honestly forgot they were hatching when they did. We went out of town for the weekend and came home to all my chicks hatched with the turner still on. Thankfully no one was injured. They were sitting in the egg cups. LOL! I would just make sure the turner is off at this point at a minimum, but it's really up to you if you want to take them out of the turner or not.

10. mstrawn3

mstrawn3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Princeton, Texas
    I agree that your temp is too low. Turn it up to 100 at the top of the eggs and get the humidity around 65-70%. Make sure you have good ventilation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by