Experienced Silkie exhibitors question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bat Cave Silkies, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Some of the Silkies I'll be showing this Fall have feathers on the 3rd, 4th, & 5th toe....should the feathers be plucked, or left alone???

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Left alone. The standard calls for feathers to the third toe, it does not say and not on the other two. I have birds with feathers on all five toes, I like the look and breed for it.

3. Bat Cave Silkies

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Thanks Robin. I like the look also, and breed for it.....just wanted a "pro's" opinion.

4. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Actually, while the third toe should NOT have the feathers plucked, they are technically not supposed to have feathers on the fourth and fifth toe. While many birds with good third toe feathering do have feathers on the last two toes, feathers on the fourth and fifth toe should be plucked before the show, preferably prior to bathing (so if there is a drop of blood it won't smear and stain feathers).

Trim toenails before bathing too. Same reason.

I have been told (by Marjorie Best) that judges can dock you for the fourth and fifth toe feathering.

5. Bat Cave Silkies

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    [​IMG] don't want to lose points for feathers !!

6. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I have heard of people getting points off because of to many feet feathers. I wouldnt pluck them because I like all the feathering and I dont think all judges care about that. Maybe if your at an apa show they might take off points.

7. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Are feathers on these other toes really a problem? The standard says "the outer and middle toe well feathered" I thought this meant the outer and middle toes should be especially well feathered, and it is okay if the others are only sparsely feathered. Nowhere does it say that all toes being well feathered is a defect.

8. Bat Cave Silkies

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    I try to breed to the standard; of course, different judges see things differently. I'm new to showing~~just watched alot in the past~~and wanted the opinions of those who have shown Silkies.

9. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    There was a discussion about this same thing a couple of months ago. I think the general consensus was that its not a problem that as long as the required feathering was on the three toes then the additional feathers were the gravy on top.

10. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Hrm,.. it was Marjorie Best that told me that the fourth and fifth toes need to be plucked prior to show if feathers are present (which they are on mine, and on many birds with god 3rd toe feather). Marjorie's been doing it awhile, as I realize some of the other people participating in this discussion have as well, so I am at a loss. All I know if plucking the fourth and fifth toe feather did not detract from the bird and did highlight the nice toe splits I had on those birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by