Experiences with Ebay turkey eggs?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by allergymama, Dec 30, 2014.

1. allergymama

allergymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    Hi, has anyone have experience ordering turkey eggs off of ebay? They seem less expensive, not a lot, but some, than the hatcheries that I can find. Because we will be selling these and already have the added expense of organic feed, we are trying to limit other expenses where we can.

2. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

ebay turkeys... hmmm....

3. Hamburg

Hamburg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    I want a few of the small turkey breeds, midget white, royal palm etc. As well as a few guineas. hatching eggs would be better for me than the minimum hatchery orders. I will be interested in following this post.

4. allergymama

allergymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    Anyone familiar with AV Bird Hatchery for turkey eggs? Found them on ebay.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I cant speak to that source specifically. BUt having tried hatching many shipped eggs and having sold many hatching eggs to others, shipped eggs are a big risk. You really cannot plan on how many poults will hatch and be ready for sale.

6. megalomaniac

megalomaniac Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    Mississippi
    Actually, I ordered a dozen Eastern wild eggs from a fellow in PA last spring off ebay. He shipped 14 which were packed 7 per foam egg carton with no padding, and just newspaper around the cartons in the box.

6 were obliterated in shipment, I washed the crushed eggs off the remaining eggs, and set the 8 in the incubator. To my amazement, all 8 developed, and 7 hatched. They'll be a year old this May, hoping to get my first eggs from them in a couple more months :)

But honestly, if you get 1/3 to hatch, I'd consider that great from shipped eggs off Ebay.

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    7/8 is very good-- you clearly have the touch for hatching shipped eggs! I have o ne pen that tends to have that hatch rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by