Experiences with Electrical Poultry Fencing?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Keri78, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Hey Guys![​IMG] I've decided that my chickens need their own area...I'm exhausted from hosing chickie poo off my sidewalks and front step! They have also DESTROYED my flowerbeds...I've tried several different solutions but it all comes down to the fact that I have too many free rangers and they have taken over![​IMG] Sooo...fortunately for them we live on a farm and have plenty of land that we can give them their own area! Sooo...I'm REALLY considering the electrical poultry fencing b/c it's relatively cheap and I can fence off a huge area for them and they should be safe from predators. Anyone using this of have used it in the past...I'm looking for tips...suggestions...etc. Thanks Guys! [​IMG]

2. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I'm also curious as to, if the electric fence is safe from flying predators ? I mean would a predator be able to fly in ?

3. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    I raised some chicks in electric net and had good success. When the chicks became larger, I ran an electric wire 5" above the ground to enclose my pasture. The chickens, trained to the shock, would stay within the boundries of the wire even though they could easily jump over it. I liked the wire because I could just step over it or I could drive my truck over it. I have since taken down the wire and let my chickens rome were they will. I may put it back up this spring since the chickens have taken a liking to my wifes flower beds and garden.

I now use my electric net when I want to seperate flocks, breeders, etc.

The electric net offers some protection against ground predators but none against winged predators.

BTW, the neting can be floppy so you will want to get some of those plastic electric fence post for extra support. I used one between each post that is made into the netting. Also, if you have very hard soil as I do, then you will need to use a hammer and a piece of rebar or a screwdiver or something to pre-punch a hole in the ground for your post.

Mikey

Edit to add:

Keri78, the wire really worked well for me and is much less costly than the net. Since you'll need a fence charger either way, you may want to give the wire a try.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    No, it does not keep out hawks; it does not really even necessarily keep IN chickens, it will do so to some extent (depending how much they want to be elsewhere) but is not really intended for that (except for meat chickens that don't really fly).

All's it's really meant for is to keep out large 4-legged predators like dogs. It does that reasonably well.

However please realize it is VERY high maintenance. The lowest wires are RIGHT down practically on the ground, and you ABSOLUTELY MUST keep the grass scalped down to the dirt under where the fence is or it will ground out adn be useless. This requires either herbicide applications or regularly moving the fence aside and scalping the fenceline with a weedwhacker. (Mind you the fence is not at all hard to move, but you have to DO it, and make sure it is very well re-tensioned afterwards because sag can also be a big issue in grounding out the fence)

It might indeed be something for you to consider IF the area you'd like the chickens to be in is not predator-protected (as opposed to wherever they are now that you don't want 'em). Just be prepared for the work. Also it is not cheap, especially if you have to buy a charger (and you will need a substantial charger, because it has pretty high resistance and also tends to ground out to some degree no matter how hard you try to avoid it).

If OTOH the area you'd like 'em to be in now is already reasonably well dog-fenced, or could be made so just by adding a few lines of electric, I would suggest considering NONelectric fencing. Of whatever type with mesh small enough to retain chickens adn preferably 4' high. This will keep your chickens in just as well as the electronet (i.e., "sorta kinda as long as they don't want to fly out"), with VASTLY less ongoing work input.

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Welcome to the demanding part of chickeneering.
    Im guessing No one told you about their ad habits, eh?

Typically the electric netting is used to make movable paddocks in secure area. It allows you to easily confine them to a particular area and then move it by pulling up stakes - periodically giving the birds a new area to tear up. Do this in an old garden spot and they can actually be of use, cleaning out bugs, weeds and scratching up the soil.

It is not so often used as permanent fencing, however. As long as there are no determined predators, its alright. But it may lull you into a false sense of security.
    Just because you havent seen any predators, don't think they are not there. Even the family dog can become a a chickens worst nightmare, if properly motivated.
    And the longer your chicken buffet remains, the more likely others will show up.

I would urge you to see the netting as just that - a net, not a fence. I would then suggest you net in the area you want to birds to stay OUT OF, instead of trying to use it to pen them in.

6. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Quote:Pat, this reminds me of another reason I liked the wire better than the net. My wire fence was simi permanent and I could easily run a weed eater under the wire. It took me about ten minutes about three times a summer. Though I didn't really consider the net to be "very high maintenance", it does require more attention than a permanent fence. I also had a few escapes from the net and my wire, but it was usually because I had frightened them causing them to fly over the wire. Then the stupid birds would run around the perimiter looking for a way back in. [​IMG]

Mikey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by