Experiences With having eggs shipped in cold places?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens44, Jan 28, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Im planning on buying eggs from Arizona to Wisconsin (wi's temp lately has been in the 20's-30's area) well Whats you experience with have eggs shipped to you, when your in a cold place... Oh btw the shippings Expedited Shipping.

You think it will be ok.?

2. gardeningsis

gardeningsis Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Illinois
    [​IMG]I live in the mid-part of Illinois with cold temperatures. I have always had good luck with my chicks when they were shipped in. A reputable hatchery will have heat packs in the box to keep them warm. Just make sure you can get to the post office as soon as they call to pick up your peeps. Once you get them, make sure you keep them warm and dry.

3. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I dont know if Im getting heat packs,I ordered from ebay

4. gardeningsis

gardeningsis Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Illinois
    :)It's hard to say how they will fair but let's hope for the best. My last order was from My Pet Chicken here on BYC and I ordered 8 last year. I got them in the cold of February and they were great.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I had eggs shipped from Alaska and 50% are still growing. In case you are not aware, 50% for shipped eggs from ANYWHERE is good.

6. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Oh I did not know that, Well Im guessing my eggs will be shipped out Mon and arrive Wed. I emailed the seller asking for a heat pack, But I dont know. I guess Ill just hope for the best. I ordered 12+ LARGE SILVER LACED STANDARD COCHIN HATCHING EGGS

How cold does it have to be for a egg to freeze

Oh and I sure hope the box comes right before my mom gets home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by