Experiences with heated waterers

vehve

The Token Finn
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Kirkkonummi, Finland
My Coop
My Coop
With winter just around the bend, thoughts of cold proofing the coop are in my head. I'm planning on keeping the waterers from freezing with heat cables meant for terrariums. They can be submerged in water. Has anyone done this, and what kind of wattage have you used? Our waterers are about 10 liters, or 2½ gallons.

Last edited:
The ones I looked at were bendable heater cables, didn't seem all that fragile. It's the kind you would bury in substrate in a aquarium. I haven't found any bird bath heaters here.

I see. That may work then. I was looking at aquarium heaters to heat my 55 gallon drums when it dropped below freezing. They were glass.
I have some of these.
http://www.duncraft.com/Birdbath-Heater
You might also consider an engine block heater surrounded by concrete blocks with the water fount above.

The above mentioned bird bath heater works in a bucket with horizontal nipple waterers placed near the bottom of the pail.

I was thinking of something like that before I stumbled upon the idea of the heated cable. What kind of wattage are you using with what kind of volume? I was thinking a 50W cable with a 2½ gallon waterer.

I've been thinking a lot about the winter lately too. And I want to get a heated waterer to keep the water from freezing. But my issue is that I don't have electricity in the coop. I can run a large extension cord from the light pole in the yard and through the small gap under the door. But I'm worried about the actual extension cord, will the chickens be able to peck through it and cause a fire or electrocute themselves? Does anybody have any experience with using extension cords in a chicken coop that could give me advice?

We are starting to build a controled heated chicken water it will be 5 gallons with a plug and thermostat.
So far we have not seen this type on the market it will be made with metal not a bucket and it will be easy to clean.

We also are trying to build a metal feeder with narrow edges so chickens cant poop in feed as easily.

Let me know if anyone would be interested and share this post please to let other know about this idea would like to supply this to everyone who really needs it.

We are starting to build a controled heated chicken water it will be 5 gallons with a plug and thermostat.
So far we have not seen this type on the market it will be made with metal not a bucket and it will be easy to clean.

We also are trying to build a metal feeder with narrow edges so chickens cant poop in feed as easily.

Let me know if anyone would be interested and share this post please to let other know about this idea would like to supply this to everyone who really needs it.

also cord will be wrapped in sheet metal or a thin metal so no chew or pecking still working out solar power it is a little harder to figure out

I was thinking of something like that before I stumbled upon the idea of the heated cable. What kind of wattage are you using with what kind of volume? I was thinking a 50W cable with a 2½ gallon waterer.

Did you end up giving this a try? Was it enough power? I'm still trying to figure out a perfect winter watering solution for here in Maine. Many thanks!

Back
Top Bottom