Experiencing first molt?

Do you supplement regular layer feed rations with anything else during a molt?

• Sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rarely

• Never

• Total voters

pclark17

Songster
5 Years
Jan 5, 2017
Western Kentucky
Three of our four hens are a little over a year old and appears as if they have all begun a slow molt recently as the days have gotten shorter and the weather has begun to turn. We have noticed a little inconsistency in the egg laying during this time period which obviously I know is to be expected. My question is what, if anything can I supplement their daily food with? I've heard a little cat food, I have read about added protein, or do we need to do anything at all? Just curious what the more experienced hen zens prefer to do or what has worked best for you all. There has been noticeable feather loss from the other three around head/neck working down but nothing drastic in terms of quantity or total bald patches which I have read means the molt is slow. I feed the girls "Country Road" layer blend crumbles which they prefer over the pellets, they are allowed to range through the yard 1-3 hours of the day depending on when we are home, and also given fruit/vegetable scraps that we discard from the house a few times per week. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Since they don't really lay during while molting, all the calcium in layer feed isn't needed and can actually cause damage to the kidneys over time. I don't ever bother with the stuff. It's much simpler to just buy one feed that is safe for all ages and stages, and allow the hens to regulate their own calcium intake with crushed oyster shell.
An unmedicated starter/grower or flock raiser type feed will give them plenty of protien and help offset any low protein goodies and forage they may get.

When my hens are in molt I take them off there layer/breeder feed and put them on a low calcium high protein feed. I also cut any treats I my be giving out.

Back
Top Bottom