1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Experiment: Chilled Auction Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coffeemama, Aug 19, 2008.

1. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Well, today a fellow BYCer, shmooborp and I went to the auction to sell some pullets. We were very good, and only came home with a dozen New Hamp hatching eggs to split. We decided to experiment with them because they were very chilled when we bought them. Not sure if anything will develop, but we'll see! Putting them in today or tomorrow morning. [​IMG]

2. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    good luck let us know what happens [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

LOL!!! i got mine in the kitchen in a new carton and they are nice and snuggled in , i turned them once already , im puting mine in on ither thursday or friday with my eggs that i get from jody [​IMG] if not then in the bator they go. LOL i sorta wanna put them in the bator so i can see the hatch.

it was wierd cuz u could obviously tell they had been in a fridge, they were cold and had the kinda dew on them. that things get when they are taken from a cold area to a warmer area, like when ice melts in a plastic cup, condensation on the outside,

they also had auracona mix and polish and turkey and BR, but i think the NH are good, plus u cant beet the price we got
    LOL

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You can bring an egg down to freezing temps for 30 min and still hatch them, just hatch rate goes down. There is a book that I forget the name of that uses leghorn and RIR eggs to determine hatching curves after storing eggs at various temps for up to months at a time. It was named something like the avain embryo or along that lines. Best of luck!

5. shmooborp

im going to twist the experiament even more and do the carton method when they hatch. that is if they make it that far [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. shmooborp

oh btw i put them in the bator, not with the broody, cuz i want her to have all of jodys eggs and if i put these in it might lowe hatch rate. so they ar in the bator and doin good [​IMG]

7. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    You just might get something from them.. i got eggs from Tori that she had in the refrigerator for a week and now atleast half of them have growing chicks in them [​IMG]

8. shmooborp

AWESOME! it just might work! egor! pull the swith!! muahhhaaaamuaaahhh mauuuaaaahhhhaahahaa!! yes master...

9. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Gonna to subscribe to this thread this is gonna be interesting!

10. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Yup [​IMG]

Tori eggs are due to hatch next week [​IMG] among with a ton of other eggs due next week [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by