Experiment Gone Wrong

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BjaJra826, Mar 15, 2019.

1. BjaJra826

BjaJra826 In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2019
    Iowa
    I have a cornish cross named Cream that my daughter had to have. Because she is such a gentle giant I though we could let her live with my egg layers and see if she lays. We are just past the 6 month mark mow, and my RIR is trearing her up. Cream is not laying and has not shown any signs, but she keeps trying to roost in the nesting boxes. My layers are not tolerating this. She has lost most of her tail feathers and a few wing feathers. I have been covering her wounds in blue hen healer, and we were doing prettu good. Until last night that is. Now the layers have torn all but 3 of her tail feathers out and torn her tail up pretty good. Cream is easily 3 times the size of the layers but won't defend herself. I currently have no other place for her to go. If I cull her, can we eat her with the injuries she sustained or do I need to feed her to our dogs/throw the whole carcass away? I just feel like keeping her alive longer is not in her best interest anymore( her weight is starting to cause leg issues as well). I hate to lose her as she is a very sweet chicken, but I would feel better if her death resulted in some good. 20190226_101533.jpg

2. cleoandtheflock

cleoandtheflock Songster

Jan 16, 2019
    It is your choice but she sounds like a sweet little hen and I think she would chose to live
    If the other hens aren’t excepting her than you could keep her in a dog crate in the run with them until she is accepted
    How are her wounds doing

3. BjaJra826

BjaJra826 In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2019
    Iowa
    Not good. I feel bad. I've kept her alive for my benefit. I am always worried I am being selfish and not taking her into account. I have her soaking in a warm bath right now so I can assess the wounds better without alm the blood.

4. hispoptart

hispoptart Songster

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Did you intergrade her slowly with the others or just toss her in hoping for the best? As @cleoandtheflock said they need time to accept her.

5. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    So long as the wound is fresh and uninfected, she's perfectly safe to eat. I would cut off the tail.

Good luck with whatever it is that you decide to do.

6. Amc29

Amc29 Chirping

Feb 20, 2019
    SW Oregon
    My understanding of cornish cross is that they really aren't intended to live very long. They are butchered around 8 weeks, and can develop significant leg problems and heart problems. She is probably roosting in the nest box because she is too heavy to get herself up any higher. They can live longer, but only you can really determine the quality of life she is having. I have seen people write about how they have ones that have lived to two years, but I believe that is the exception rather than the rule. Granted, I don't have any personal experience. Best wishes to you in whatever you decide going forward <3

7. h2oratt

h2oratt Crossing the Road

May 3, 2015
    Morada, california
    I would dispatch her. I would eat her. They can’t support their weight on their legs. They were bred for this.

8. BjaJra826

BjaJra826 In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2019
    Iowa
    I got her cleaned up. She still looks awful. And the stress of getting cleaned up has her panting pretty bad. She was slowly integrated and was accepted until the layers started laying again a month ago. Her wing is worse than I thought before I cleaned it. Her tail is pretty torn. No infection yet, as it just happened last night/this morning. I know she has lived a long life for her breed. And that she was well cared for and loved. My small cage has 2 week old chickens in it right now, and she is violent towards them. On the other side, she is eating , drinking, havibg normal bowel movements, and is currently preening herself. 20190315_131947.jpg 20190315_131918.jpg 20190315_131856.jpg Trying to think of our options now. Thank you everyone for you advice!

Attached Files:

9. hispoptart

hispoptart Songster

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Awe the poor thing! So sorry you are having to make this decision. Only you though, can decide how much she's suffering and if her time is up.

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  10. Cluckerzfamilyfarm

Cluckerzfamilyfarm Songster

Aug 2, 2018
    It being a cross.....its time.. just my opinion

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: