Experiment "The Power Of Suggestion" on broody's

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazychicken, Feb 14, 2009.

1. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    After my rather disappointing 0% hatch with my incubator and with school pushing me very hard. I will take advantage of the timing and use "the power of suggestion" to suggest to my hens that they would benefit greatly by going broody. I shall record all of my notes and process here.

1.) Purpose: Can I use The Power of suggestion" to encourage my hens to go broody.

2.) Hypothesis : I predict that I may be able to convince one (or more) of my hens to go broody.

3.) Procedure : I will take advantage of the warming up spring weather and utilize it to my advantage. I shall place Easter eggs in a dark comfortable place where they like to nest and gradually over a few days add one or two more and when I have about eight or so I will record a section of a baby chick peeping and set it on loop so it constantly replays to draw the hens toward the eggs. by using the warm weather, fake eggs, and some sound affects. I shall try to convince at least one of my hens to go broody. assuming after I successfully get a broody and she has steadily brooded for a few days I shall switch the fake eggs with fertile ones.

4.)Data :

5.)Analysis :

6.)Conclusion:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. Sounds interesting! Good luck!

3. crazychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    well the store does not have Easter eggs out yet so I will have to find some of those before I can start.

4. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Quote:I saw them at the dollar store yesterday! Let us know how the experiment works out.

5. crazychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    Thanks I will look there, anyone else who wants to give it a try can.

6. crazychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    All right I found some eggs and I slipped them into their favorite nesting spot I Guess I just have to wait now. I will take pictures and show my results later [​IMG]

7. crazychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    [​IMG] Do barred rocks,Black stars and br mixed rir ever go broody. [​IMG]

I went out this morning and the Easter eggs were all over the coop and the real eggs were where the fake eggs were. [​IMG]

Do you think the know that they are fake and that I am trying to use them [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  8. crazychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    My Black star has gone broody [​IMG] !!!!!

I am a genius [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by