EXPERT ADVICE NEEDED regarding barley grain for chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LovesAGoodYolk, Mar 25, 2017.

1. LovesAGoodYolk

LovesAGoodYolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2015
    Iroquois Cnty IL
    I have been trying for quite some time, to determine WHY my hens aren't laying as they should be. I get very few eggs out of 12 month old RIR

2. LovesAGoodYolk

LovesAGoodYolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2015
    Iroquois Cnty IL
    If I ever get this post completed it will be a miracle. this is my third attempt. anyway, 10 RIR that are 12 months old and numerous others of varying breeds. their laying has been decreasing for months, which I blamed on the winter weather, but that didn't make sense, since it is about 40 degrees in the coop. They are well cared for, fed, spoiled, etc. I went online searching for an answer and I believe I may have found it. WHO KNEW THAT BARLEY GRAIN IS BAD FOR CHICKENS? Let me type out what I found. the anti-inutritional factor identified in barley grain is beta-glucans, which, because of its chemical structure, cannot be easily digested by poultry. The betaglucans bind with water in the intestine, resulting in the formation of gels and increasing the viscosity of the intestinal contents, The increased intestinal viscosity reduces the availability of the nutrients in the diet. It can also cause sticky droppings, resulting in increased incidence of pasty butt."

MY QUESTION FOR AN EXPERT IS THIS;
    How long might it take for this is problem to clear up in my hens? Is there anything I can feed to them to help the situation?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by