Expert chicken people, do chickens ever really yawn?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thndrdancr, Aug 10, 2007.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Ok, I know the repeated yawn type behavior is a sign of gapes. And I do believe my chickens had that in the past, and I was able to treat it.

But what I am asking is....like when my one chicken wakes up after an afternoon nap, she will yawn, just once....a big ol yawn, and then go about her business? So...do they ever really yawn for real, or is it always a sign of a gape problem?

Or do I need to treat again, ya think?

2. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Here we are again, waiting for someone who knows what they are talking about to answer our questions... and waiting [​IMG]
    and waiting [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I do want to know though, how did you treat for gape?

Please note, this does not answer jills question and she still awaits your informed reply [​IMG]

3. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Fenbendazole is the normal treatment and I happened to have some of it. Wasnt real sure on dosage, had to do some reading, cant remember now. And I wasnt sure how to dose it, I added it to their water, and it worked, its been awhile tho.

I had let them eat earthworms (in my newbie days), like I could stop them tho, when they were running around in the spring in the wet season. Anyhow I am just sure they had gapes, I never SEEN anything, but they had runny poo, CONSTANT yawning, scratching at their necks, etc. And after I treated for it, the yawn/craning/scratching at their throat went away. So....

4. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm no expert, but mine yawn occasionly. [​IMG]

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Yes, and they can fart and burp too.

6. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    I watched mine eat a feather once [​IMG] and it did the yawning thing for awhile. I'm sure it was just stuck in her throat.

7. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    I've seen a mine yawn in the AM when I open their coop. And I don't know what "gapes" is.

8. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:Isn't gapes some type of worm? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Yawn, shake, poop, get off the roost. Samething every morning.

10. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    My ducks yawn sometimes. If I remember, they were yawning one morning and I was tired, so I yawned too and it turned into a short yawning competition (some people say yawning is a display of dominance in animals and that is why it is "contagious").

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by