1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

experts: 2 setting hens in one coop?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 3riverschick, Feb 6, 2013.

1. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    Can one have 2 setting hens in one 4x8 coop? They are sharing large nestbox rigth now. What will happen when eggs hatch? Will they steal or kill each other's chicks? They are Sussex 1/2 sisters raised together.
    Should I build a nest box in the other end of the coop and move one hen there? The rooo is still in the coop, should I move him to batchelor quarters? He is gentle and gallant with his ladies. Should I leave the roo in the coop with one hen and move the other hen to the batchelor quarters with a nest of her own? The weather is foul and they don't have access to outside right now.
    Thanks,
    Karen

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    I had 3 broodys sitting in a 1 metere by 1 metre shed and they did fine but failed to hatch. But this year i had 2 sit in seperate sheds then when the chicks hatched i put them in the small shed together and they baught the chicks up together, but not all will get along. If the 2 hens like each other there is more of a chance they will get along. If i was you i would just keep checking quite often when they hatch, or meby you could put one in a cage to hatch then you can let them out with each other and see how they do. You could try asking on here, very good thread with very experienced people! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...n-hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread/15890

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Thank you, Johnn! I have asked over there.
    Karen

4. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    They will be fine and raise them together. I used to have two hens that always sat together and raised their chicks together. Let them do it together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by