Experts?? Is this egg fertile or am I seeing things?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPox, Mar 2, 2011.

1. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Ok, I SWEAR I thought this was a fertile egg. Since this was laid, I watched with my own eyes the bird I thought was a roo lay an egg! [​IMG]

SO! I know that hens can hold roo gumpies for a couple weeks, so it is very slightly possible that the hen who laid this was exposed to a roo several weeks before this egg was laid for literally about 5 minutes before she (who I thought was a he) tried to kill the roo (confirmed by crowing.) Other than that, there is NO WAY this egg is fertile, and I'm just a dummy. The pen the hens are in is completely enclosed. There are 3 hens in there, and I have watched 2 of them lay before my own eyes. The third I am positive is a hen as well, although we have only been getting two eggs a day out of that pen. I don't know how old the birds are, but they are relatively young. The one who isn't laying is about 5 months I guess. They are all silkies, which I know are notoriously hard to determine sex. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've compared with other fertile egg pics online and I suppose it isn't as fertile as I thought! Hahaha! I just always thought "bullseye" and totally saw that in these pics. I feel silly....

2. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    Looks fertile to me... Maybe you should name one of your birds Houdini....

3. dwdoc

dwdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    Not an expert but dat der egg be fertile... Great pic!

4. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    that looks like the beginning bullseye. . nice yolk color by the way...looks nice and healthy..I have a hen that for a while I thought was a rooster bigger comb..dont plan to breed her , she does lay an egg every day

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  5. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    the hens can store gumpies for up to 5 weeks....

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Yup that is a fertile egg! [​IMG]

7. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    See? I thought it was fertile too!!! Maybe my porcelain is really a roo? But I REALLY doubt that.....she has such a pretty ROUND head poof. No streamers whatsoever, and no crowing. This is going to drive me crazy!! Hahahaha!

I did put several eggs in my bator and none started developing...... [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    Fertile!! That be a bulls eye!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by