EXPERTS -SEX MY SILKIES-and BO"S please ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sonew123, Apr 22, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    ok everyone..Ive had these guys for a good week now and Im stumped ..the two BO chicks are from my own chickens..they are 4 weeks old today--the rest are all 8-9 weeks old--anybody want to help and guess for me?? I know silkies are really hard until they crow r lay an egg but some people get lucky and can see obvious signs before others-Im hoping you can do the same for me-I have 1 partridge roo called Do-DO-much bigger than all the birds but supposed to be the same age--theres a few pictures of my lavender silies too--ANY REAL OBVIOUS SIGNS that I can look for that you can point out>> [​IMG]jpg[/img]pg[/img] [​IMG] these are photos of the same partridge silkie..

next my 2-4 weeker BO's [​IMG] [​IMG] ok now for someof my lavender silkies [​IMG] [​IMG] ok barred chochins [​IMG] [​IMG] thats it for now--please help show me what to look for??

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  2. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    No clue on the rest, but I'd guess that the last cochin may be a roo and the first a pullet. Looks like the bottom pic has more red and a larger comb, first looks like a smaller, yellow comb. My pullet is almost 9 weeks and has a barely there, yellow comb.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    thank you---anyone else please help??

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

you can't accurately sex silkies until they are nearing 6 months old, or until one crows or lays an egg....

that being said, the first pic of the brown silkie looks like a male to me. the others I haven't a clue.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    that's what I was afraid of-Do-do being a male the rest--I knew I d have to wait but didn't know if someone saw "something" that made them think otherwise!! thank you

6. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Can you get clearer pics of the lavender silkies? The first barred chick is a pullet and the other looks like a rooster.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    thats what I thought about the barred cochins-the other silkies ill try again and the other BO x RIR mix--

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by