EXPERTS_ manning/rooing up in general!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MizG, Aug 26, 2014.

1. MizG

MizG New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    sorry no pix/Hi, I have three sets of young birds. One set nearly 20 weeks- black langshans do not have definintive roo tails or extremely red/large combs. Set two are close to TEN weeks. We have two obvious roos-marans(properly sexed) and an ee(also properly sexed) but have a couple HELP PLEASE!?, a welsummer with no tail(supposed sexed female and a full blood americauna splash that is supposed to be sexed as male without the definite roo tail and does not have the three row pea comb nor saddle feathers. Set three- I feel fairly certain about the sex Can anyone tell me if having six chickens between 10 and twenty weeks old would have not obviously "manned up" visibly by this time??

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    By this time, a male would probably have a much larger redder comb, and probably would be developing some pointy hackle (neck) feathers and saddle (lower back) feathers. If you want to be sure, you can post some photos- I, and other members of these forums would be glad to help you figure out their genders.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Some roosters become obvious at 4 weeks. Most show themselves at 8-10 weeks of age. However, a few roosters don't "man up" until they are 14+ weeks of age.

It should be relatively simple to tell what gender your Welsummer is, since males and females are colored differently. Welsummer roosters have black breasts, but the hens have reddish/salmon colored breasts and brown bodies.

It is a little harder to sex Ameraucanas, since their small pea combs don't develop as much early on. Photos would definitely help.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by