Expired yogurt?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by amgreen1980, Jun 9, 2011.

1. amgreen1980

amgreen1980 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    Can I give it to the chickens? I don't want them to get sick, wasn't sure if it was ok to give expired things to them.

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    It's fine as long as it's not moldy.

3. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    or rancid. since yogurt has already been fermented, it takes a lot for it to go bad.

i use expiration dates as guidelines, not absolutes. some stuff out lives expiration dates by months or years. like bottled water, which doesn't really expire at all.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    My general rule of thumb is that if I am not willing to eat something, I won't give it to anyone else either.

If something's expired by just a day and still smells perfect I'm sure that would be fine.
    JJ

5. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I've eaten yogurt that was expired by a couple of months, as long as the seal wasn't broken and it wasn't moldy. It didn't hurt me.

6. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Same here. It's like with sour cream. Can it really get more sour?

7. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Quote:Yes. I just recently was feeding my chickens expired yogurt. It was at least a week expired. Just give it a stir and smell it. The expiration date is just an approximate date. The chickens will love it! : )

8. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Wish I would have known this. I threw out almost a whole container of yogurt because it had expired. [​IMG]

9. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    There are supposed to be less active cultures alive in it the older it gets. I read the somewhere. And yes sour cream can get more sour or stronger in taste, but I don't mind. VERY rarely does it mold in this house or for that matter go out of date.

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Yogurt's spoiled milk already. Don't know why they date it. The cup should say "even worse after June 9th".
    Actually I like yogurt & as to the OP's question I'd say if it's so nasty you wouldn't eat it don't feed it to the chickens. I ate a cup of yogurt this morning that was a month out of date & it was fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by