Explaining Your Interest with incubating and hatching eggs to a Non-Believer-Stories

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mattfulleroc, Dec 26, 2012.

1. mattfulleroc

mattfulleroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    I am seeking some stories and ideas about the fascination adults have with the hobby of incubating and hatching eggs....not so much in the sense of having your personal eggs develop into chicks to add to the flock...but focussed strictly on the interest and joy one feels from hatching eggs in an incubator. I need to present my case to a roommate who thinks the whole idea is insane.

(PS- Half-way through the hatch and this is the first time the incubator was even noticed...)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Umm, it is insane - therein lies the intrigue. Absolutely fasccinating and addictive. Eggs to living animals [​IMG]. It's a miracle!

1 person likes this.
  3. mattfulleroc

Aug 31, 2010
    Yes!!! So True!

4. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I just got an incubator for Christmas, and even though I haven't hatched anything yet I know I'm already hooked! I've had hens hatch for me and monitored the process but I have a feeling it won't feel the same.

The process IS absolutely fascinating! You take a couple cells and create a living, breathing creature right in front of your eyes. Very cool.

Right now I'm trying to find eggs to hatch since i don't need any chicks right now. I really just wanna hatch something :\

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Do they ever explain any of their addictions or hobbies?.. probably not.. Are they supporting you or footing the bill for your addictions / hobbies?... again, probably not...
    As far as I am concerned.. so long as it makes you happy and you aren't making a disaster of joint living spaces or creating a situation which puts you or your roommate in any harm then I would tell them to just deal with it.

lol.. but that's me.. I don't feel the need to justify my hobbies to anyone

1 person likes this.
  6. mattfulleroc

Aug 31, 2010
    Keep me updated when you find eggs! Good luck- I am very excited for you!

7. mattfulleroc

Aug 31, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by