Explanation Please About Egg Position

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MontanaGal, Mar 31, 2009.

1. MontanaGal

MontanaGal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    Montana
    Hi,

I have been doing my homework in the Learning Center, and read this:

Positioning of Eggs
    An incubating egg should set in a normal position as it would on a flat surface; that is with the large end slightly higher than the point. An egg that persistently has the small end elevated may cause the embryo to be misoriented with the head toward the small end. In the misoriented position, the chick is likely to drown on pipping. Therefore, it is quite important that in general, the large end of eggs should be slightly higher than the small ends; or as they would lie naturally on a flat surface. A turner doesn't hold them like they would lay naturally, does it?

I am using an egg turner, am I supposed to do something else? We (eggs & I) are on day 11 in the incubator and turning.

And, someone please explain pipping. Is that when the chick starts trying to hatch?

2. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    And, someone please explain pipping. Is that when the chick starts trying to hatch?

I can't help with the egg turner questions...never used one. But pipping is the first little crack or hole the chick makes. Then it will "zip" around, as if to unzip itself outta the shell...then eventually hatch. They rest ALOT during this whole process...it can be a very anxious experience. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  3. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Pointy end down. I had one chick pip upside down (his back end came out first!) and he's fine. Just crazy like all the fuzzy butts. If you have them in a turner, you are just fine.

Pipping is when the first hole in the shell appears- usually at the middle of the egg- and then as they make their way around the egg, it's called zipping (like unzipping the egg)

17 days to go!! WOOT WOOT!!

4. MontanaGal

Mar 29, 2009
    Montana
    WHY are the words "egg" changing to the word "rooster"? This really had me going for a bit, and then realized what was happening.

Weird, and makes for a whole new meaning. I asked about the "egg turner" and something turned it to "rooster turner". Anywhere you see the word "rooster", change it to the word "egg" in my posts.

LOL - Am I crazy or what!!???

5. MontanaGal

Mar 29, 2009
    Montana
    Egads - it did it again.

I type the word e.g.g. and the system turns it into the word "rooster".

What is happening to me???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by