EXPLODING EGG!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kennyog, May 10, 2009.

1. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    I'am new to this hatching thing and it is a ton of FUN!! Till this morning when a egg exploded.IT WAS HORRIBLE,TERRIBLE,SICKENING!!!!! PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO NEVER HAVE THIS HAPPEN AGAIN!! EVER!!![​IMG]

2. chicken+quail=luv

chicken+quail=luv Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Strawberry fields.
    It was probably an egg that wasn't fertile, and it got rotten and exploded. [​IMG] Sorry about that! It happens frequently, and the rest are probably fertile if they haven't, so don't worry. You should candle them to make sure they are alive, though.

3. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    How long till an unfertile egg explodes?
    I have a few that I think are but I dont want to ditch them just yet...just in case

4. chicken+quail=luv

chicken+quail=luv Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Strawberry fields.
    I'm pretty sure it takes somewhere around 2 weeks... if you candled them and you didn't really see anything, it could be a thick shell, or a rotten egg.

5. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Candle them every once in a while, look for blood rings, toss undeveloped eggs around day 10-14, and also smell them often too, usually you can smell a bad egg before it explodes. I have not had one explode on me yet (knock on wood), But I have several Button Quail eggs in the bator that are too dark to candle, I'm a little worried about that, but I guess it's good they are small, less mess if one does explode.

6. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    Thanks everyone!

7. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Stinky ~

Luckily it hasn't happend to me *knocking on wood now* [​IMG]

Someone on here once said their son or some child held an egg to his ear and it exploded on his head and all in her kitchen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by