exploding eggs......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pozarnsk, Dec 15, 2008.

1. pozarnsk

pozarnsk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Turtle Lake, ND
    Well I am in ND and we have had wind chill temperatures of -50 F over the last few days. Regular temps of -20 F. I have found out what happens to eggs when they freeze. They basically bust right open. I'll post pics tomorrow. Hopefully this doesn't last long........

All the chickens look like they are smoking with the steam coming out of their beaks, lol.......

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Much better to freeze and explode than explode in the bator. Also, musch easier to clean up. Put a 60 watt light bulb in the coop if you can. That works for every 12 x 12 coop. This will stop the eggs from freezing.

3. pozarnsk

Jun 26, 2008
    Turtle Lake, ND
    I have three 250 watt bulbs. Mostly to keep the water from freezing, however my wife just called me and said it is frozen anyway....... My coop is 18 X 26, so it is a little bigger. Its just toooo COLD!!!

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That's why I gather eggs every couple of hours in weather like this.

5. pozarnsk

Jun 26, 2008
    Turtle Lake, ND
    Yeah the only problem is I am at work today and the wife went out this morning and has informed me she will not be leaving the house again today.......... Something about almost freezing her face off...

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Well, I guess she has a choice getting a little cold for a few minutes or no eggs.

7. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I don't blame her for not wanting to go out. I hate the cold to and it's only windy there and the temp is 45. Hope it won't last too much longer for you. My daughter was stationed in ND. I think it was whynot (spelling) Air Forge Base.

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Gosh, must be hard on bedding or will be when it thaws. I'm sure you will still get freezing eggs, but it might help to load up the nest boxes with extra material.

Don't send that weather here, please! But Ihope you're rid of it soon.BRRRRRRRRRRR

9. pozarnsk

Jun 26, 2008
    Turtle Lake, ND
    Minot Air Force Base, lol. Its about 60 miles directly north of me.

Yeah we'll just have to see what I've got when I get home......

10. RobotChicken

RobotChicken Chicken TV Addict

Oct 16, 2008
    Colorado Baby!
    Quote:Aka Whynot Minot?

Americas first line of defense from Canadia.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by