explosive runny poop, weight loss, hangs back, slight scab on bottom of foot,peeling skin, lots of f

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladyearth, Oct 27, 2015.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    On Baby Firl 1 1/2 yr old dont see any respiratory problems right now. Hubby gave Valzban again Oct 23 to all of them.......
    scratching lots,looks like she and others itching so bad pulling out her feathers lots of feathers lost.. she looks miserable.....Dont know if dry skin on all or
    where they splash the fermented grains on their faces......
    Gave them Experin pour on 2nd dose on their neck oct 20th....
    I got Nutra drench, probiotics, Lffe Lytes tabletstins , ind,powdered Tetracycline, Corrid powder,Tylan 50 injectable..TSC is closed for the nite.
    Oh sprayed them or misted with "Pyritium 10 them Oct 20th.. olive oil in ears
    olive oiled or vaselined their feet.. patted them with 99% sulpur twice
    thanks all

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Wow, that's a lot of meds.

You probably have several things going on.
    The scab on the foot may be bumblefoot.
    IMHO, the primary issue is that she's molting. It usually happens at 1 1/2 years and every autumn thereafter.
    They look like hell and feel like hell while they grow a new winter coat. More protein (especially animal protein) can help them since feathers are 93% protein.
    If they're itching a lot, perhaps there are lice or mites. Have you looked them over for them? Seeing none, I wouldn't bother to treat. Do they have a dust bath to play in?

If you don't know if they have worms, there's no reason for the anthelmintic. The runny poop could be from lots of things.
    I'd have a fecal sample read so you know what they have.

The bumble foot is another issue. I'll refer you to another thread I posted in.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...foot-plus-a-few-frank-questions#post_16014195

3. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    oh also have that expensive VERAFLOX....left over from this year incomptent( at least chicken wise) not avian vet .Its prob an infection...what about the liquid in poo. Hubby said its exploive He saw her walking and it sprayed out of her. Her coopmate has some too. greenish and yellowish too plus so much water it runs on the boot tray...
    im scared of mites and lice.. so I prob wont bring her in anymore...I cant see anything.
    Plus how do I tell white lice eggs from DANDER??? how can I tell dirt from whatever.. cause they feather dust everyday.
    dont know if she eating or not.....I saw her eat a little yesterday...when I try to isolate her and feed her in a seperate dish she will refuse it mostly... going out there in a little while.Hubby feed them in mornings and let them out of their runs into big field fenced field...
    Hubby saw her drinking out of the puddle by the gate. I hate that cause they poo so much there and I will lay the dustpan there waiting to collect more poofrom their big big yard..
    we had 3 inch of rain in last cpuple of days
    I put their watering coffee pots in the rain in their locked runs to catch more rain water for them overnight

4. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    Anyone???? I dont want to lose BABY GIRL

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    So you're sure she's not just molting?

6. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    she thin, explosive poop, looks 90,wont eat much, looks bad.. her poo is green somewhat gottA GO OUT THERE AnD CHECK POOP BD....
    If I try to get her alone she runs and wont eat..what injectable would be good?that TSC might hae. wish I could do herbal could try turmeric in her food.. If I can get her alone wish collidal silver would help.. some say to use collidal silver topically only

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post some pictures of her and her poop?

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Your Veraflox is a good antibiotic, but it is banned for used in poultry. Would be best to have a vet check her poop for coccidia, worm egg and bacteria.

-Kathy

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Like I said, molting hens look like hell and feel like hell. Wish we had pictures. If you've only had chickens for a couple years you probably haven't seen one look so bad. My mature molting hens look to be half the size of this year's pullets. I need to get pictures of them, it's amazing how bad they look. In another month or so they'll look normal.

I'd be remiss to recommend any treatment for diarrhea without knowing which of the 10+ possible things it could be. You need lab work for the diarrhea.
    The diarrhea could be from ochratoxicosis, streptococcosis, pullorum, chlamydiosis, spyrochetosis, influenza ergotism, histoplasmosis, pseudomononas, etc... Most of those are rare. None can be treated with any injectable.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Could also be be clostridium perfringens or E.coli.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by