1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

explosive runny poop, weight loss, hangs back, slight scab on bottom of foot,peeling skin, lots of f

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladyearth, Oct 27, 2015.

1. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Right. I once had a flock with clostridial bacteria which was treatable with tetracycline (in the water). But I never would have known if I hadn't had a fecal sample read.

2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Would be helpful to know what they're being fed, and if any of that feed is from the bag with the 2010 date code.

-Kathy

3. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    Update new vet of course not avaian far away again...said he saw that "Coccidia "in the poo that was on newspaper in bottom of cage we transported her in. HE said it wasnt FRESH fresh enough to test or culture for bacteria.Less than an hour she was in the cage in truck. IS THAT TRUE ???
    I asked him to give a Baytril injection. He supposedly did....
    He prescribed Corrid we started this morning...
    its only some left over milo that was in treadle feeder that was supposedly old...the wheat doesnt have a date on it....dont give them that much...
    they are given some fermented " New Country "non soy organic brand feed plus the same feed dry. plus some fermented grains once a day plus some sunflower seeds and now since cooler some whole corn and some peanuts chopped up late in the day.....
    I still think its that other coll perf thing..... So do I believe him?
    Can I give both?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

So she was getting milo from the bag with the 2010 date code? Anyway, saw on your other thread that you were taking her to the vet yesterday... What did the vet say?

-Kathy

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    For the time being, considering all the symptoms, I'd separate her and put her on some fresh dry bedding (for the bumblefoot), get some fresh 18-20% grower or all flock feed for her (to help with molting) don't ferment it and eliminate everything else (for the diarrhea) except a bit of plain yogurt with live cultures (for probiotics).
    I'd also soak her foot in a Epsom salt bath every day.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Fermented feed would be very easily digested.

7. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    Post 13 above So do I believe the vet???? I think its that clostridium perfringens or E.coli.
    so do I give the Corrid to all ? and some Oxy powder too???
    That expensive feed was bought last month or two and its grower... cause Layer only has 16 percent or so..... a buddy of Hubby brought it down 80 plus miles away.... and the Grains I ferment are human grade... I may stop the barley soon and wheat bran and maybe even the oat groats....
    I give them various poultry vitamins everyday in their water.. Like Durvet brand.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    What did the vet say?

-Kathy

9. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    what do you mean by seperating? bring her in Again.... she hates it. but that is the only way I can monitor her ....to see if she is even drinking or eating.
    right?
    we are so frustrated no one ever tell this to you when they are cute chicks......Baby Girl has been to vet three times in a year....so much time and money spent... so much heartache.....

10. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    post 13 what vet said

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by