Extended Laying Season

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RisingSun, Oct 2, 2012.

1. RisingSun

RisingSun Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    The days are starting to get shorter and my young hens have just started laying eggs....can I extend their egg laying by adding light to their coop and setting it to come on a couple of hours before daybreak?
    Thanks,
    Denise

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Lots of folks do. Many refuse to. It is a choice.

The days have been shorter since the first day of summer, way back on June 22. [​IMG] Now, the night's are longer than the days, since we've moved past the autumnal equinox and thus, this is more noticeable and the chickens do indeed slow down. Since the chicken is photo reactive, the added light, say from 6 am to 8 am, will keep them laying a bit better than no added light at all. Lighting them from 5 am to 8 am is usually enough to keep them in regular laying form. For the average sized coop of say 10x12, a 40 watt bulb is plenty.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  3. RisingSun

Oct 2, 2012
    Thanks! That's helpful,
    D

4. RisingSun

Oct 2, 2012
    Ok...it's nearly December and the days are quite short now. I've been giving the girls extra light, which comes on at 5 am. They are all laying most days, sometimes 2x.
    Yeah!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by