1. ChickEngineer

ChickEngineer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    The girls were free ranging in the backyard until they begin to take a toll on the grass, eating the grass was alright, but than they started to dig holes. That did not go over well with DW.
    Had a row of junipers from the coop to the rear wall. Used some 4' plastic garden fencing and staked it up close to the junipers, enough so there was no room for them to fly over.
    So far this has worked out, the girls like the dirt under the junipers to dig in and take their dust bath. DW has her grass back without the "land mines", everybody is happy.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    Very clever!! and they have lots of shade!

3. ChickEngineer

Jul 16, 2011
    The girls seem to like the extra room to roam. They have a 9' X 6' coop but still got a little "coop fever", the green lawn was too much of an attraction. Had to straighten out some of the dips in the fence. Big Red, the brains of the flock, quickly pointed out the weak points. Were having a mental match and I'm losing.

4. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Nice idea.
    I may need to do something similar. DH has said he would like to get 5 or 6 more hens and that means making the run larger.

[​IMG]

5. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Most excellent idea. You know what my husband has always said, "Happy wife, happy life." [​IMG]

6. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    It's a perfect solution. Have you seen the guy on you tube with the chicken tunnel?

7. ChickEngineer

Jul 16, 2011
    Quote:Haven't seen the u-tube, I don't speak u-tube. Like to see it though, DW has a agility tunnel she is not using.
    Might be able to use it, something else to keep the girls occupied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by